Old 15-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Frogleg

Default any receipe's for 3 pounds of figs I've placed in the fridge to keep?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:20:19 -0400, "Madgardener"
wrote:

Anyone have any receipe's for the 3 pounds of ripe, sweet figs I've placed
in the fridge to keep them from spoiling?

Drat! I didn't save the 'recipe', 'though I definitely remember
passing the URL on to some neighbors. Anyhow, I Googled and searched
the food newsgroups last fall when given a bucket of figs. I didn't
try this, but it sounded terrific. Halve some figs, arrange cut side
up in a pan, dab sour cream on each half, sprinkle with brown sugar,
and broil to kind of melt/caramelize the sugar. The sour cream may be
still cool next to the fruit, but that's good.

I made jam. Figs are *beautiful* fruits -- a most agreeable color
scheme that I admired while prepping and simmering.
Old 16-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Madgardener

and you simmered it for how long? And did you add pectin or were the figs
sufficiently full of pectin in the first place? The men in the house are
starting to look like figs............g I am getting spoiled from picking
them off the tree (they're not as plentiful, but now they're turning dark on
the butt indicating they're sweet and ripe) and snatching a few out of the
bowl in the fridge. But I'm NOT cutting the branches this year in hopes that
this is why I had so many this year. Just capping the little stem and
simmering them and putting it in small jam jars would do it next year
wouldn't it? I am ever the optimistic g
madgardener

Old 16-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:21:44 -0400, "Madgardener"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

I made jam. Figs are *beautiful* fruits -- a most agreeable color
scheme that I admired while prepping and simmering.

and you simmered it for how long? And did you add pectin or were the figs
sufficiently full of pectin in the first place?

I Googled on "'fig jam' recipe" and searched rec.food.preserving, and
winged it after reading a number of recipes. Just figs, sugar, and a
little lemon juice. Washed, (de-)stemmed, and halved the fruit, and
mixed with sugar and lemon in a big dutch oven pot (no cover) over
first medium (to bring to the simmer) and then low (to continue) heat.
It burrbled happily for several (2-3? I was here in the computer
pantry reading and posting) hours. Stirred and tasted from time to
time, and it was getting pretty jammy when, suddenly!, it scorched.
Scooped off the interior and bottled a few jars for refrigerator
storage. (I'm not a canner.) Advice from an expert on another
newsgroup told me that while a fruit/sugar mix can march along happily
with little attention for some time, the *second* it starts to stick a
bit to the bottom of the pot, constant stirring and then judicious
removal from heat is required. Another poster mentioned her mother's
famous 'Burnt Fig Jam.' Seems like you can't go too far wrong. :-)