Old 15-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Heidi

Default any receipe's for 3 pounds of figs I've placed in the fridge

I wish I had a recipe to share, but I only have ideas. If it were me, I
would find a recipe for fig newtons--maybe check out one of those "Top
Secret Recipe" books from your library--you know the books that have
impostor recipes for name brand foods such as oreos, waffle house
waffles, etc..

I have tried fig jam and love it! I wonder if you could also pack the
figs in a jar filled with brandy or another liquor--if sealed I would
think they would preserve well--and maybe make a nice holiday gift.

A neighbor of ours gives us figs from her tree. The first year we
received figs, my DH did not realize the "potent powers" of figs. He
ate a quart sized container filled with figs in one sitting. Thank
goodness Wal Mart sells Kaopectate and is open 24 hours!

Heidi

Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 21:20:19 -0400, "Madgardener"
wrote:

Anyone have any receipe's for the 3 pounds of ripe, sweet figs I've placed
in the fridge to keep them from spoiling?

Drat! I didn't save the 'recipe', 'though I definitely remember
passing the URL on to some neighbors. Anyhow, I Googled and searched
the food newsgroups last fall when given a bucket of figs. I didn't
try this, but it sounded terrific. Halve some figs, arrange cut side
up in a pan, dab sour cream on each half, sprinkle with brown sugar,
and broil to kind of melt/caramelize the sugar. The sour cream may be
still cool next to the fruit, but that's good.

I made jam. Figs are *beautiful* fruits -- a most agreeable color
scheme that I admired while prepping and simmering.