Old 16-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Megan Milligan

Default natural/organic insecticides/repellents?

i recently tarted up my herb garden again after several months. does anyone
know of any good recipes for safe insecticides/repellents i can spray on
them to protect them but still be able to eat them when i want to?

Megan

Old 16-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Twobtold

From: "Megan Milligan"
31qjb.40578$La.34326@fed1read02

i recently tarted up my herb garden again

What did you use? Hot pants & fishnet stockings?
Old 16-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message 31qjb.40578$La.34326@fed1read02
from "Megan Milligan" contains these words:

i recently tarted up my herb garden again after several months. does anyone
know of any good recipes for safe insecticides/repellents i can spray on
them to protect them but still be able to eat them when i want to?

Herbs don't need any protection against chewing or sucking insects,
they have their own. The aromatic oils which give the strong herb tastes
and smells are natural repellents, that's why people put dry herbs or
herb bags in linen cupboards and wardrobes.

Janet.

Old 16-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Tina Gibson

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message 31qjb.40578$La.34326@fed1read02
from "Megan Milligan" contains these words:

i recently tarted up my herb garden again after several months. does

anyone
know of any good recipes for safe insecticides/repellents i can spray on
them to protect them but still be able to eat them when i want to?

Herbs don't need any protection against chewing or sucking insects,
they have their own. The aromatic oils which give the strong herb tastes
and smells are natural repellents, that's why people put dry herbs or
herb bags in linen cupboards and wardrobes.

Janet.

I agree with Janet - the only herbs I've had problems with is dill (aphid
infestation) but planting nasturtiums close to them diverted the aphids and
no problems this yr.
Never had an insect on any other herbs besides the occasional fly or bug
that just happens to be 'smelling the herbs' but not feasting!

Old 16-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Dwight Sipler

Tina Gibson wrote:

.... Herbs don't need any protection against chewing or sucking
insects,
they have their own. The aromatic oils which give the strong herb tastes
and smells are natural repellents, that's why people put dry herbs or
herb bags in linen cupboards and wardrobes.

Janet.

I agree with Janet - the only herbs I've had problems with is dill (aphid
infestation) but planting nasturtiums close to them diverted the aphids and
no problems this yr...

Japanese beetles really like my basil. Other than that, no problems.

Old 16-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Tina Gibson

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Tina Gibson wrote:

... Herbs don't need any protection against chewing or sucking
insects,
they have their own. The aromatic oils which give the strong herb

tastes
and smells are natural repellents, that's why people put dry herbs or
herb bags in linen cupboards and wardrobes.

Janet.

I agree with Janet - the only herbs I've had problems with is dill

(aphid
infestation) but planting nasturtiums close to them diverted the aphids

and
no problems this yr...

Japanese beetles really like my basil. Other than that,

no problems.

Slugs like my basil - but not enough that I don't get a huge crop every yr.

Old 16-10-2003, 11:02 PM
animaux

Hot pepper wax, sold in garden centers or make your own. Take three of the
hottest peppers you can find on the market and blend them in a blender with
about two cups of water. Strain it through a sieve and add the liquid to a
gallon of water. Spray plants. Don't get it on hands or arms or in eyes.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:29:35 -0700, "Megan Milligan"
opined:

Old 17-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from animaux contains these words:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:29:35 -0700, "Megan Milligan"
opined:

i recently tarted up my herb garden again after several months. does
anyone
know of any good recipes for safe insecticides/repellents i can spray on
them to protect them but still be able to eat them when i want to?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ *

Hot pepper wax, sold in garden centers or make your own. Take three of the
hottest peppers you can find on the market and blend them in a blender with
about two cups of water. Strain it through a sieve and add the liquid to a
gallon of water. Spray plants. Don't get it on hands or arms or in eyes.

* Or on your lips, palate, tongue, tonsils, oesophagus or intestine.

Janet.

Old 17-10-2003, 01:32 AM
lvhippy

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:54:45 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Don't get it on hands or arms or in eyes.

and gentleman wash hands before urinating!!!!
Old 17-10-2003, 02:42 PM
animaux

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:06:36 +0100, Janet Baraclough
opined:

The message
from animaux contains these words:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:29:35 -0700, "Megan Milligan"
opined:

i recently tarted up my herb garden again after several months. does
anyone
know of any good recipes for safe insecticides/repellents i can spray on
them to protect them but still be able to eat them when i want to?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ *

Hot pepper wax, sold in garden centers or make your own. Take three of the
hottest peppers you can find on the market and blend them in a blender with
about two cups of water. Strain it through a sieve and add the liquid to a
gallon of water. Spray plants. Don't get it on hands or arms or in eyes.

* Or on your lips, palate, tongue, tonsils, oesophagus or intestine.

Janet.

Hot peppers are safe to eat. I choose not to eat them.

Old 19-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Salty Thumb

lvhippy wrote in
:

wrote:

Don't get it on hands or arms or in eyes.

and gentleman wash hands before urinating!!!!

This is good advice. For hot peppers, if you're not going to wear gloves
when you pick them, wear gloves when you pee.

[IMG] code is On

cat/dog repellents fred Gardening 10 15-05-2019 03:28 PM
Squirrel repellents Phisherman[_3_] Gardening 14 02-08-2010 12:34 AM
Keeping a natural area, natural aggiecon Plant Science 2 13-12-2004 07:05 PM
Mosquito repellents/killers Dave Australia 14 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
[IBC] Curing Insecticides Michael F. Tigue Bonsai 1 14-02-2003 05:27 PM