GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broom Corn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/45673-broom-corn.html)

Cheryl Isaak 18-10-2003 03:22 PM

Broom Corn

Hello!

I grew this for the first time this year as my oddity ( I try to add
something different every year).

The first hard frost has hit and the time has come to cut it down. But there
is a collection of small plants around the base - next year's growth? I
thought it was an annual.

I am going to leave them in place and cut down the long stalks to add to the
compost heap. The seed heads are gracing a vase in the living room.
Cheryl
--
Cheryl Isaak
AHS Region 4, USDA Zone 4B/5A

FarmerDill 20-10-2003 06:32 PM

Broom Corn

I grew this for the first time this year as my oddity ( I try to add
something different every year).

Ah Nostalgia. When I was young we grew broom corn and made our own brooms.
Actualy my dad did.

Cheryl Isaak 20-10-2003 07:12 PM

Broom Corn

On 10/20/03 1:26 PM, in article
, "FarmerDill"
wrote:

I grew this for the first time this year as my oddity ( I try to add
something different every year).

Ah Nostalgia. When I was young we grew broom corn and made our own brooms.
Actualy my dad did.

So, is it trying get set for an other year?
Cheryl

FarmerDill 21-10-2003 06:02 PM

Broom Corn

So, is it trying get set for an other year?
Cheryl

Not sure what you mean. but the grain can be combed out of the seed head and
planted the following year. The seed heads minus the seeds were used for
making brooms. Even store bought brooms were made with broom corn before the
inundation with plastics. The plant is similar to a grain sorghum and will not
stand frost.

Cheryl Isaak 21-10-2003 07:32 PM

Broom Corn

On 10/21/03 12:58 PM, in article
, "FarmerDill"
wrote:

So, is it trying get set for an other year?
Cheryl

Not sure what you mean. but the grain can be combed out of the seed head and
planted the following year. The seed heads minus the seeds were used for
making brooms. Even store bought brooms were made with broom corn before the
inundation with plastics. The plant is similar to a grain sorghum and will not
stand frost.

Thanks - the last line answered my question. I had never seen an annual put
out what looked like new rosettes. And they seemed shrug off the light
frosts I've had so far! Haven't been out much since the hard frost.

I really loved the effect of those stalks and seed heads in the garden this
year and will grow them again next year! My other big winner was Jewels of
Opar - like tiny rubies in the sun!
Cheryl