Old 22-10-2003, 05:22 PM
~Lori

Default Winter cleanup questions...

Hi all...
Coupla questions:

1.) Do I need to do anything for newly planted (this past summer) hardy
hibiscus to ready them for winter? Cut to the ground? I have a Lord
Baltimore and a "clown" I think it's called. The stalks are bare on the LB,
but the "Clown" still has leaves and is bushier and not as Cane-like as the
Lord Baltimore.

2.) I planted Mexican Primrose this past summer as well, and it's spread
pretty impressively in just that short time. It won't travel into my grass
if I don't have some sort of barrier on the bed, will it? The flowers are
beautiful when it blooms.

Thanks!
Lori (zone 5)

Old 22-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Hildur M. Hendricks

Hi Lori.
I don't know where zone 5 is but I had hardy hibiscus in southern NJ.
I did not have to do anything with them for the winter. They just died
back on thier own and then in the spring they just started growing
from the bottom again. Just like a new. That is my experience with
them. I just love them.
Don't know anything at all about a Mexican Primrose.
Hildur

Old 23-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Beecrofter

"~Lori" wrote in message ...
Hi all...
Coupla questions:

1.) Do I need to do anything for newly planted (this past summer) hardy
hibiscus to ready them for winter? Cut to the ground? I have a Lord
Baltimore and a "clown" I think it's called. The stalks are bare on the LB,
but the "Clown" still has leaves and is bushier and not as Cane-like as the
Lord Baltimore.

2.) I planted Mexican Primrose this past summer as well, and it's spread
pretty impressively in just that short time. It won't travel into my grass
if I don't have some sort of barrier on the bed, will it? The flowers are
beautiful when it blooms.

Thanks!
Lori (zone 5)

The Manual of Herbaceous Ornamentals shows rose mallow to be hardy in
zone 5 but it's the coldest zone shown for it. Personally I am a
believer in mulch.
Old 23-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Carolyn LeCrone

The Mexican primrose is invasive in my zone 7 garden - Southern Maryland.
It spreads into the grass but the lawn mower keeps in under control. It
has, however spread over and under landscape cloth and blooms happily
wherever it wants to.
Carolyn

Old 23-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Mommy Bartlo

there are lots of invasive plants here in Mount Pocono.

JoJo sometimes takes his snow shovel to them in July to help him prepare for
the snow season.

xoxoxo
--MommyBartlo--

Old 23-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Joseph Bartlo

The cowardly, anonymous pest posting as Mommy Bartlo wrote:

JoJo sometimes takes his snow shovel to them in July to help him prepare for
the snow season.

This person does not exist, pest.

[IMG] code is On

Paving cleanup due Mike United Kingdom 1 29-11-2004 11:18 AM
Winter Cleanup Questions Tim Tompkins Roses 3 18-11-2004 02:09 AM
snail cleanup crew Bugbear Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 20-04-2003 07:12 AM
cleanup this christmas bdetta Australia 0 05-04-2003 07:34 AM
Spring Cleanup MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 5 17-02-2003 04:51 AM