GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can you force an oriental lily without pre-chilling? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/46081-can-you-force-oriental-lily-without-pre-chilling.html)

NAearthMOM 25-10-2003 12:42 AM

can you force an oriental lily without pre-chilling?

Thanks!
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

madgardener 25-10-2003 01:02 AM

can you force an oriental lily without pre-chilling?

yes. Jackson & Perkins did because Lowes has pots of white, pink, red and
orange forced lilies in pots that I'm about to buy for .75 each (three bulbs
in each pot)because all I need to do is add some bulb food into the hole
when I plug these sprouted bulbs into the ground and next year they'll
return and bloom at normal time. I'd say put them in the fridge for a week
(no ripening fruit in with them) and then pot them up, put them in a warm
place and stand back. (((hug))))
maddie

Pam - gardengal 25-10-2003 04:02 PM

can you force an oriental lily without pre-chilling?

"NAearthMOM" wrote in message
Thanks!
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Caryn, it can be done, but it is not quite as simple as forcing spring
flowering bulbs, as lilies don't require a winter dormancy or chilling
period anyway. Here is a link thay may help - good luck! I always wanted to
have fresh Casa Blanca blossoms for the holidays, but they are ridiculously
expensive.....maybe I should give this a try........

http://www.umass.edu/umext/floricult...rops/lily.html

pam - gardengal