GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gayfeather (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/46108-gayfeather.html)

~Lori 25-10-2003 04:32 PM

Gayfeather

Do I need to cut these down for winter or leave them alone?
Thanks
Lori

TOM KAN PA 25-10-2003 04:42 PM

Gayfeather

I thought that was what the Lone Ranger affectionately called Tonto !

Tyra Trevellyn 25-10-2003 05:02 PM

Gayfeather

From: "~Lori"
Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2003 11:22 AM
Do I need to cut these down for winter or leave them alone?
Thanks
Lori

Whatever you want to do for appearance is ok. The foliage and flower spikes
will deteriorate over the winter anyway, and new foliage will emerge in the
spring. If your flower spikes still have interesting seedheads, why not leave
them for a while. I usually cut my Liatris spicata back before winter, mostly
because the leaves usually have a touch of powdery mildew and I like to dispose
of diseased foliage.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7