GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/46135-rhubarbs.html)

Amy Fong 26-10-2003 04:12 AM

Rhubarbs

I have a rhubarb problem. I had dug them out (or at least I thought I did)
and planted cedars in the same location. The rhubarbs came back and are
now like 2 feet tall.

What's a good and effective way of getting rid of the rhubarbs without
risking the cedars?

Thanks!

gregpresley 26-10-2003 05:22 AM

Rhubarbs

I don't know how to get rid of them (I dug out a big clump to give to my
brother, and had some come back in the same area a year later). However, in
time, the cedars will make dense shade, and that will finally do in the
rhubarb. ..

Janet Baraclough 26-10-2003 09:42 AM

Rhubarbs

The message
from Amy Fong contains these words:

I have a rhubarb problem. I had dug them out (or at least I thought I did)
and planted cedars in the same location. The rhubarbs came back and are
now like 2 feet tall.

What's a good and effective way of getting rid of the rhubarbs without
risking the cedars?

Just keep pulling off the leaves and stalks whenever they appear; they
will snap off at ground level. The roots won't survive long without
leaves providing photosynthesis, and you can just leave them in the
ground to decompose harmlessly into humus.

Janet

Bob 28-10-2003 12:02 AM

Rhubarbs

Just tell your neighbors they can have all the rhubarb they can
pick, whenever it pops up.

Bob