Old 27-10-2003, 01:02 AM
Michael Shaffer

Default do plants need to sleep?

Hi, I have a few water hyacinths that I'm keeping inside for the winter,
is it ok to leave the lights on 24/7?

Old 27-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Phillip Sherman

Michael Shaffer wrote:
Hi, I have a few water hyacinths that I'm keeping inside for the winter,
is it ok to leave the lights on 24/7?

Good one. Wink

--
I live in zone 10a-10b

Old 27-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Most plants need a daily period of darkness to do well.

They do not sleep in the way animals do but part of their metabolism occurs
at night.

Put your light on a 24 hour timer set for short day comparable to that
outdoors.

Plants do not dream.

Old 28-10-2003, 12:02 AM
Michael Shaffer

??????

Old 28-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Michael Shaffer

I know they don't sleep (duh) I was just wondering if part of the
photosynthesis process was supposed to take place in the dark..

Old 28-10-2003, 12:22 AM
SugarChile

I know that when starting seedlings indoors, it is recommended that they get
a certain amount of dark hours. I don't have the science to back it up,
surely someone out there has a reference?

On the other hand, I have some houseplants that live under a 24/7 light, and
they have been thriving for years. They are sanseverias, though, and do
fine under all types of conditions.

In your situation, I would set your lights on a timer if at all possible.
If not possible, consider it an experiment and report back on how they do.
They are also tough plants, and might be perfectly ok that way for a few
months.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

Old 28-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Phillip Sherman

Michael Shaffer wrote:
??????

Phillip Sherman wrote:

Michael Shaffer wrote:

Hi, I have a few water hyacinths that I'm keeping inside for the
winter, is it ok to leave the lights on 24/7?

Good one. Wink

Apparently you haven't been following the thread on winterizing water
hyacinths. It's illegal to possess these obnoxious weeds.

--
I live in zone 10a-10b

Old 02-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Andrew Ostrander

This info is from http://www.3rlighting.com/tutorial/growlight/HPS.html

Q: How many hours a day should I burn my lights?
A: There is no one best way to light plants:
It depends on the type of plant, the kind of plant (species), and exactly
what you want the plant to do.

The typical rule of thumb for flowering plants is to run a 16 to 18 hour
light cycle then 6 to 8 hours of dark time, during the vegetative stage.
Then at the Bloom stage, switch to 12 on/12 off. It is also typical to run a
Metal Halide during the Vegetative stage then switch to a High Pressure
Sodium Light during the Bloom stage.

Q: What happens if the lights burn 24 hours a day?
A: The plants will grow.
After about 16 or 18 hours in most plants, though, growth levels off. So if
you turn off the lights for a few hours, you can save some electricity and
not really affect growth.
Plants often use dark time to build up Florins which are hormones plants use
to bloom. This is why the light is often cut back during Bloom stage.