Old 31-10-2003, 11:42 PM
Rose

Default How many of you watch Victory Garden?

Besides just being curious I'd like to know if you do watch it what do you
think of the new cast members? I miss the old ones - especially Marian in the
kitchen. But I'm sure they are still re-running the older episodes.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"
Old 01-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Dan

Hello;

I watch Victory Garden...sometimes. It is definitely not the same as
it was, that is for sure. I used to gripe about all the foreign
botanical gardens that Adrian Bloome used to go to, also about "Chef
Marion" galivanting around the world in search of ways to destroy
another chef's dishes.

Even that Victory garden wasn't as good as the old one with Jim
Wilson, or who ever he was. Now THAT was a great show. It was down to
earth, made here in the good ol'USofA and was about growing
vegetables, with only a hint of flower gardens.

I used to watch that show every week. Then when Roger Swain took over
the reins, I watched most every week. Like I mentioned before,
though, I couldn't handle much more of the world travels and Marion's
grossed out cooking.

Now that the New-Improved Victory Garden is only about flowers and
such, I don't watch it that often. If I am in the house and it
happens to be on, I may watch some or all of it. I will not, however,
set aside the time to be sure that I see it every week.

As to your last statement about reruns, I haven't seen any of the
older versions of VG. I don't think that PBS shows reruns much after
the original season.

Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas

Have a great day today and a better one tomorrow! (Gilda Radnor)

ospam (Rose) wrote in
:

Old 01-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Cheryl Isaak

I gave up on it - it just stinks! I know the hosta grower they had on last
season, he won't let the show back on the property.
IF you are in the northeast, People, Plants and Places has Roger Swain and
it is all gardens and quite viewable. Channel 56 around 8 AM Sundays.
Cheryl

On 10/31/03 7:06 PM, in article
, "Dan"

Old 01-11-2003, 01:02 AM
LFR

Nothing beats the original...when it was called "Crockett's Victory Garden".
When Jim Crockett passed away, they brought in Jim Wilson and changed the
name to "Victory Garden".

A book to get your hands on would be the original companion book by Jim
Crockett.

What is truly amazing is that the "new" location...in Lexington...is much
smaller than it looks on television. I think the original location was
closer to WGBH studios...but I can't be certain.

Old 01-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Bill Bolle

Rose wrote:
Besides just being curious I'd like to know if you do watch it what do you
think of the new cast members? I miss the old ones - especially Marian in the
kitchen. But I'm sure they are still re-running the older episodes.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

It's not worth the electricity required to watch it!!!
Bill

Old 01-11-2003, 02:22 PM
animaux

I don't miss Marion at all. Actually, I couldn't stand her with those silly,
annoying bracelets. I haven't watched it since Roger Swain left.

On 31 Oct 2003 23:33:10 GMT, ospam (Rose) opined:

Old 01-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Valkyrie

I remember when The Victory Garden first appeared on PBS in Seattle, I was
glued to the set for each episode with pad and pencil in hand. As it evolved
I hung in there during the time Roger Swain was there. I couldn't stand
Marion. I saw no point in the old geezer doing his travelogues to foreign
gardens. If I wanted that I'd have tuned into Audrey Hepburn's series on the
world's gardens. I've watched it about twice since Roger left and haven't
paid any attention to it since. Too bad, it WAS a great show.

Val

Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 AM
animaux

Yes, but even at its best there was never enough information. They spawned a
host down south at Calloway Gardens, but there was never enough information for
the mid-section or the southern gardeners.

I have no idea what it is about now. It's trying to compete with the "how-to"
programs on HGTV and I think Russell Morash (Marion's husband and producer) has
finished his term in gardening breakout shows.

I liked Peter Seabrook, or as you called him, "the old geezer." He was doing
his tours well before Audrey Hepburn did a series of several shows.

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:39:13 -0800, "Valkyrie" opined:

Old 02-11-2003, 01:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

I have never heard of this show. How long has it been around and what
does/did it encompass?

J. Kolenovsky

Rose wrote:
=

Besides just being curious I'd like to know if you do watch it what do =

you
think of the new cast members? I miss the old ones - especially Marian=

in the
kitchen. But I'm sure they are still re-running the older episodes.
=

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 02-11-2003, 04:42 AM
mmarteen

I watch the Victory Garden now but the original Crockett version was the
best. I think his garden was right outside the WGBH studio. The new show
with Michael Weishan (sp?) is kind of lame. Like someone said, it has an
identity crisis. It is partly to show off pretty gardens, partly how to and
partly a cooking show. I can get all of these things separately in HGTV
shows, in a more useful format.

The one place where HGTV has let me down is with northern gardening. All the
landscape shows seem based in FL, CA. Gardening by the Yard is based in OK.
The only show that used to showcase zone 5 and below was the Canadian show,
The gardener's journal which doesn't seem to be on any longer. The local
gardening shows are a joke.

mm

y.com...

Old 02-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Madgardener

J Kolenovsky wrote in news:3FA452C7.FCE7042@hal-
pc.org:

I have never heard of this show. How long has it been around and what
does/did it encompass?

J. Kolenovsky

good lord, where have you been, under a rock?? I take that back. This
gardening show is one of the first (I speak loosely, because I'm sure
there was an earlier show I'm unaware of....) and possibly the longest
running gardening programs there has been, even if it has changed hosts
and had another name. Originally, it has been a Public Broadcast Service
show. (that I am aware of so no flaming if I'm wrong, just correct me
nicely and I will take it kindly) PBS started it out with Crockett
hosting a really good hands on show about gardening in the city to teach
people how easy it was given the right information. From there it
transformed but stayed relatively informative when Jim Wilson took the
reins and hosted it and they expanded the gardening concept to outside
the area's to other regions trying to encompass gardening as a whole.
They had the producer's wife, Marion Morass to cook at the tail end of
the shows and eventually about the time I really started noticing this
regular PBS program on in my home town, Saturday mornings, a young,
passionate gardener by the name of Roger Swain came on board to host the
show. They have had various horticultural folks to pass thru, Tovah
Martin, Holly Schimizu (sp?) Barbara Damrosche, a woman who along with
her husband, Elliot Coleman has taken gardening in Maine to a whole new
level in their own short lived but cram packed show Gardening Naturally
was there at her early moments, names that elude me at the moment, but
all very knowledgable in their own wright. Bob Seamaus on the west
coast, I can't remember the woman who hosted with Jim who left when she
had her son, was incredible..(brain fart here, help me out people)
Peter Seabrooks was English and was a hoot, going about in different
places showcasing gardens from the world during the winter seasons for
us here in the States. I always looked forward to seeing where they'd
go because I was always curious how people gardened in other parts of
the world. I wasn't so much interested in the wealthy aspect of it as
much as how other folks gardened, what they grew, and different plants
and such. This show has run if I am not mistaken for well over 25 years
now on PBS and despite that it has a new host and new format, it still
is trying to cover some of the gardening ideals. I think that it's time
has come that it should get back to basics like Mother Earth News
Magazine had to do in the early 90's.

People want to know how to grow gardens of all sorts. Flowers,food
stuffs like berries and some vegetable gardens. Ornamental as well as
satisfying the inner need. That the new Victory Garden was going to show
how to have chickens was lost to me because they sent off for an
expensive coop that I wouldn't have been able to afford. I would have
rather liked better that they had showed you could order a variety of
good poultry from Murry MacMurry Hatcheries thru the mails, build a
simple but effective coop and have chickens for gardens, eggs and what
not instead of this over priced lark they covered in a half hour. I
haven't had the pleasure of catching the show hardly at all this season
because I've missed it simply from having to work at Lowe's. I'd love to
see what they featured this season and then give an opinion But I have
to argue that the years they had Jim Wilson and Roger Swain were I think
some of their finest ones. They inspired me visually when I was just
awakening to the gardening bug. I originally started gardening after
reading Mother Earth Magazine and consuming Organic Gardening Magazine
when Mike McGrath was editor. Add to that having Victory Garden on PBS
every week, with decent reruns during the winter when they had their
down time, I usually didn't miss an episode unless there was a problem
and I just couldn't see it. I even watched when I was in Denver and
Michigan.

The Victory Garden has the potential to be as good if not better for
gardeners of all walks of life if they did it right and took their
successes and ran with them. Even with competition with HGTV,

Does this help? I can't tell you how to see these past episodes unless
you can contact PBS and see if they have archival shows on VCR tape for
sale. They're offering quite a few things for fund raising and you might
get lucky. At the least go to PBS.org and look under Victory Garden and
see if they give a good description. This is the best I can give you
since I am a good fan despite my lack of seeing it much this year.

madgardener who watched it first in Nashville on WDCN on Saturday
mornings, then in Denver on Saturday afternoon, later at 10:30 a.m.,
then Nashville at noon, caught it early morning in MIchigan, Sunday's in
a few other cities on the way to Colorado or up to Michigan, and finally
Saturday's at 12:30 on WETS in Knoxville, Tennessee, and I can safely
say that I have seen it for at least 25 years if not longer if I could
remember what year Crockett was hosting it originally as I first saw it
with him on it.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:02 AM
B & J

"LFR" wrote in message
Nothing beats the original...when it was called "Crockett's Victory

Garden".
When Jim Crockett passed away, they brought in Jim Wilson and changed the
name to "Victory Garden".

A book to get your hands on would be the original companion book by Jim
Crockett.

snip
"Rose"

I bought my first home in northern MN in the late 1960's and did little
gardening beyond turning a weed patch yard into some semblance of order,
mostly by keeping the weeds mowed and allowing the grass to grow because I
was working on an advanced degree. When I finished the degree in the early
1970s's, I started gardening, using the methods I learned on a farm garden
where one planted seeds, watered, kept the weeds pulled, and picked and used
what grew.

When PBS started Victory Garden in 1975, I thought I had died and gone to
heaven. Jim Crockett was a guru for the novice gardener, particularly if one
lived in the northern tier of states. His shows were devoted to practical
suggestions and solutions, and I still use a number of his methods. (I
purchased and still treaure his book, "Crockett's Victory Garden," my first
gardening book.) I still remember with deep sadness his bout, decline, and
death from cancer in the late 1970's.

The advent of Bob Thompson changed the focus of the show from the north to
general gardening in the U.S., along with much landscaping and globe
trotting focus. He was okay.

Roger Swain came back to gardening roots far more than Thompson, and I
enjoyed his shows. He offered many practical suggestions, but most of his
suggestions required money and strong backs.

Michael Weishan IMO has totally desserted the ordinary gardener. His
material is so skewed toward the upscale and monied that he's a waste of
time. To add insult to injury he has replaced M.Morash in the cooking
segment, which is a waste of time for anyone interested in "just" gardening.
The only time I see it is when it happens to be on after another PBS
program, and I'm too lazy to change the channel.

John