Old 02-11-2003, 04:32 AM
Ol' Duffer

Default Invasive Plant Of The Year Nominee: Bittersweet

My nomination for Invasive Plant of the Year: Bittersweet.
Dad thought it would be neat to plant this thing at the
shady end of the old grape arbor where the grapes have
pretty much died out. Dad is gone now, but the bittersweet
had become quite robust, taking over most of the grape
arbor and had migrated over to a power pole and was two
thirds of the way up. The latter looked like an especially
bad idea. So I decided that it has to go, and after a half
a day of digging, pulling, and cutting, I'm confident that
I have failed to eliminate it. Who would have suspected
that even a quarter inch vine shoot connects to a one inch
root below the ground's surface? Yes, it has lush green
foliage and pretty red-orange berries and grows fast. I
suspect it may even be sentient, as it tried several times
to strangle, trip, or ensnare me as I was working on it.
I look forward to attacking this worthy opponent again in
the spring ;-)
Old 02-11-2003, 11:22 PM
SAS567

[...]

Same thing happened to me, except mine did make it up to the transformer at the
top of the power lines. I had to cut the vine with a chain saw to kill that
section of it. I also have another one that's growing up a section on the rear
of my house. The vine has so many runner roots that small shoots are coming up
in the rest of my flowerbed along the back of the house and even out in the
lawn. I getting rid of this one this fall.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 03-11-2003, 01:42 AM
GrampysGurl

We cut ours back down to the ground every couple years but let it grow. I have
a wild life garden and the birds love the berries. I have the native variety.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut
Old 03-11-2003, 03:02 AM
animaux

Chinese tallow
Wax leaf ligustrum
Nandina domestica
purple loosestrife

In my garden, personally, I'd have to say bermuda is the most invasive plant of
the year.

On 02 Nov 2003 22:19:19 GMT, (SAS567) opined:

Old 03-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Tom J

"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
My nomination for Invasive Plant of the Year: Bittersweet.
Dad thought it would be neat to plant this thing at the
shady end of the old grape arbor where the grapes have
pretty much died out. Dad is gone now, but the bittersweet
had become quite robust, taking over most of the grape
arbor and had migrated over to a power pole and was two
thirds of the way up.

Get it out and replace with a Trumpet Vine. In 2 years you will wish you'd
stayed with what you have!!

Tom J
who has been trying to rid my place of trumpet vines for years

Old 04-11-2003, 01:02 AM
SAS567

In article ,
says...
Get it out and replace with a Trumpet Vine. In 2 years you will wish you'd
stayed with what you have!!

Oh, I have those, too. One almost as thick as my wrist climbs the
big burr oak in the front yard. They seem more content to stay
where put - at least in NW OH.

I have them, also, but they're not even close to the Bittersweet when it comes
to invasiveness. I must also add another one to the nominations. I'm not sure
of the exact name. Mom calls it a Cinnamon Bush, but I refer to it as a Spice
Bush.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Old 07-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Harvey R. Stone

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
My nomination for Invasive Plant of the Year: Bittersweet.

Get it out and replace with a Trumpet Vine. In 2 years you will wish

you'd
stayed with what you have!!

Tom J
who has been trying to rid my place of trumpet vines for years

I bought a trumpet vine this summer and it is in a large pot. It has lots of
foliage but no blooms. What am I doing wrong? I live in Houston and
thought it would be a good blooming plant for an arbor but so far it has
not bloomed.
Phyl

Old 07-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Tom J

"Harvey R. Stone" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Tom J" wrote in message

"Ol' Duffer" wrote in message
My nomination for Invasive Plant of the Year: Bittersweet.

Get it out and replace with a Trumpet Vine. In 2 years you will wish

you'd
stayed with what you have!!

Tom J
who has been trying to rid my place of trumpet vines for years

I bought a trumpet vine this summer and it is in a large pot. It has lots of
foliage but no blooms. What am I doing wrong? I live in Houston and
thought it would be a good blooming plant for an arbor but so far it has
not bloomed.
Phyl

Most likely too much fertilizer and too much water. If you look around town
during blooming season, you will see the most blooms on the vines coming up
through the asphalt and clinging to the sides of brick buildings or chain link
fences.

Tom J