Old 04-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Warren

Default Beware of lawn mowing company scam

Shepherd wrote:

So, be a good neighbor, mow her lawn for her this winter, for nothing.

If you really want to help your elderly neighbor, advise her to get a
written contract from now on, and read and understand it fully before
signing it. Or, better yet, have her get someone she trusts, who is
knowledgeable about such matters, read it and advise her before she

signs
it.

Exactly.

And make sure it explicitly states that they will not overseed in the
fall. If the contract is silent on this, she could have a harder time in
small claims court, especially if it's the customary way lawn services
in that area work. It's not a scam if it's the customary procedure
especially since they can point out that it doesn't just benefit them,
but benefits the customers by giving them green lawns year-round.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Every Trading Spaces fan
needs an official Trading Spaces smock:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/tradingspacesgear.html

Old 04-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On 4 Nov 2003 03:46:04 -0800, (Lou Minatti)
wrote:

Can you grasp that?

"You appear to be very tightly-wound. Such personal anger and
bitterness."

Old 05-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Lou Minatti

"Shepherd" wrote in message ...
"Lou Minatti" wrote in message
om...

"Shepherd" wrote in message

"Lou Minatti" wrote in message
om...
Houston residents: If you pay a company to mow your lawn, watch

them
from late September through early November. Some of them put down

rye
grass seed without telling you. This keeps them busy cutting your

lawn
year-round.

This has happened to my next-door neighbor two years in a row. I'm
curious if this scam is done in other areas of the Gulf Coast.

Two years in a row? Sounds like your neighbor is OK with what the

lawn
service is doing.

I don't think you understand. This is a scam numerous companies are
running, not just one company. They get away with it because there are
hundreds of thousands of first-time home owners in the southern US who
don't know squat about their lawns.

Is he complaining, or is it only you?

Let's try again.

Neighbor has winter rye dumped on her lawn without her approval.
Neighbor doesn't want winter rye on her lawn.
Neighbor is now stuck paying a lawn company to cut the grass 52 weeks
every year, rather than 40 weeks out of every year.
Neighbor will now have to pay at least $240 more than she was
expecting to for lawn care this year.

O.K., let's try again!

Yes, let us. You still don't understand.

Maybe the lawn service pulled the wool over her eyes the first year, but

she
must have been aware of the use of overseeding with annual rye the

second
year and could have prevented it and/or refused to pay for it if was not
mentioned in the contract she signed.

Who says she's using the same company? You are assuming something I
never said.

Now, you say she can simply not pay once the rye grass is discovered.
True. However, that doesn't solve the problem - a lawn that has to be
cut once a week from December-February. She can't do it, so she's
incurred a needless expense to service a product (rye grass) she never
requested.

As I said, sounds like she wanted winter rye so she could have a nice

green
lawn all year. Many people do.

But she doesn't.

Besides, many of my neighbors have lawn services and only those who

specify
winter rye used for overseeding in the winter get it and the service.

But she didn't request this service. Do you understand yet?

She got a contract, or at least should have. Didn't she read that contract
before signing it? Again, she should have!

She read the agreement. She also showed it to me a few days ago.
Nowhere does it say anything about winter rye.

If the lawn service did something, or did not do something, which is not
called out in her contract, and it cost her to lay out more money than
agreed upon, she can, and should take them to small claims court.

How does one prove this sort of thing? She didn't witness it. Few
people would. I'm not aware of many people who watch their lawn crews
while they work.

Do YOU understand yet?

Yes, but I don't think you do. No one should even have to go to court
over this, which is why I am warning people.

Why doesn't she just get rid of the lawn services and have you take care of
her lawn for her?

Why should this be my responsibility?
Old 05-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Lou Minatti

"Shepherd" wrote in message ...
"Lou Minatti" wrote in message
om...
Tom Jaszewski wrote in message

. ..
On 3 Nov 2003 18:19:43 -0800, (Lou Minatti)
wrote:

Let's try again.

Neighbor has winter rye dumped on her lawn without her approval.
Neighbor doesn't want winter rye on her lawn.
Neighbor is now stuck paying a lawn company to cut the grass 52 weeks
every year, rather than 40 weeks out of every year.
Neighbor will now have to pay at least $240 more than she was
expecting to for lawn care this year.
So hire a new company....and clearly indicate your to cheap to have a
green lawn year round

I cut my own lawn. This is about my elderly neighbor who did NOT sign
a contract agreeing to lawn mowing year-round. But thanks to their
scam, now she has to have it done - which costs her 25% more than she
budgeted for annual lawn care. Can you grasp that?

So, be a good neighbor, mow her lawn for her this winter, for nothing.

Non sequitur noted.

If you really want to help your elderly neighbor, advise her to get a
written contract from now on, and read and understand it fully before
signing it.

Why do you assume she didn't have a written contract? Why do you
assume she doesn't fully understand it?

Or, better yet, have her get someone she trusts, who is
knowledgeable about such matters, read it and advise her before she signs
it.

Nothing on the agreement said anything about spreading winter rye. Yet
there it is, sprouting up all over her front lawn as the weather
finally cools down. She didn't put it down, and there's no Magic Grass
Fairy, so who would benefit by doing this?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Shepherd

"Shepherd" wrote in message

[...]

If winter rye comes up, then winter rye was planted, whether she saw it done
or not.
Did she ever consider telling the service, or better yet, sending them a
registered letter stating she does not want her lawn overseeded with winter
rye. Then if it is planted and she has to pay to have it cut, she can take
them to small claims court and sue to be rembursed for the cost of the
mowings.

Do YOU understand yet?

Yes, but I don't think you do. No one should even have to go to court
over this, which is why I am warning people.

Going to court is a nuisance, but so is being required to pay for something
you don't want and didn't ask for.

Why doesn't she just get rid of the lawn services and have you take care

of
her lawn for her?

Why should this be my responsibility?

You seem to be the only one concerned about the matter.

Shepherd

Old 05-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Shepherd

wrote:

[...]

DUH! Because you say they overseeded her lawn with winter rye, which she
didn't want, two years in a row?

Shepherd

Old 05-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On 4 Nov 2003 17:32:00 -0800, (Lou Minatti)
wrote:

Magic Grass
Fairy

And I have a lot of time on my hands?

Old 05-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Warren

Lou Minatti wrote in message
om...:

Why do you assume she didn't have a written contract? Why do you
assume she doesn't fully understand it?

Lou assumed nothing In message
om... you wrote
I cut my own lawn. This is about my elderly neighbor who did NOT

sign
a contract agreeing to lawn mowing year-round. But thanks to

their
scam, now she has to have it done - which costs her 25% more than

she
budgeted for annual lawn care. Can you grasp that?

So did she or did she not sign a contract?

And what did that contract say about overseeding? Is overseeding the
standard practice in your area? You've already said that at least two
companies have done it without being asked to do it. If it's the
standard practice in your area, and she didn't get it in writing that
they shouldn't and wouldn't do so, then she hasn't a leg to stand on.

Or do you not even care about this anymore. Your latest posts seem to
indicate you're more interested in flaming folks for assuming that
you've been telling us an accurate story. Your facts keep shifting in
vain attempts to bolster your self-righteousness. You want to make this
some emotional "I'm right even if I'm wrong" thread, fine. Feel free to
ignore the good advice you've been getting. Go ahead and let your
neighbor get "scammed" next year just because your ego is too big to
allow you to listen to advice.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 05-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Lou Minatti

wrote:

Magic Grass
Fairy

And I have a lot of time on my hands?

Yes. Do you have any more archives to read?
Old 05-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Lou Minatti

"Warren" wrote in message news:UA%pb.81285$9E1.402303@attbi_s52...
[...]

I'm stating an opinion that I believe some lawn companies are
spreading winter rye without telling their customers. For two years in
a row someone has spread winter rye on my next door neighbor's lawn.
She has used two different companies. Nowhere on the agreements she
has signed is there any word, phrase or clause about these companies
spreading winter rye.

I believe I initiated a reasonable message to this thread. I believe
my messages since have been clear. Obviously there is some disconnect,
and I'm not going to disrupt the newsgroup further.