GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Beware of lawn mowing company scam (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/46565-beware-lawn-mowing-company-scam.html)

Lou Minatti 02-11-2003 11:12 PM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

Houston residents: If you pay a company to mow your lawn, watch them
from late September through early November. Some of them put down rye
grass seed without telling you. This keeps them busy cutting your lawn
year-round.

This has happened to my next-door neighbor two years in a row. I'm
curious if this scam is done in other areas of the Gulf Coast.

Phisherman 03-11-2003 01:22 AM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

On 2 Nov 2003 15:03:04 -0800, (Lou Minatti)
wrote:

Houston residents: If you pay a company to mow your lawn, watch them
from late September through early November. Some of them put down rye
grass seed without telling you. This keeps them busy cutting your lawn
year-round.

This has happened to my next-door neighbor two years in a row. I'm
curious if this scam is done in other areas of the Gulf Coast.

A reputable lawn service will tell you exactly what is applied, what
was done, and why. Here (in TN) a lawn service contract charges a
fixed fee all year round. Scamming customers will eventually lead to
fewer customers and/or lawns that looks like crap.

Shepherd 03-11-2003 03:42 AM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

"Lou Minatti" wrote in message
om...
Houston residents: If you pay a company to mow your lawn, watch them
from late September through early November. Some of them put down rye
grass seed without telling you. This keeps them busy cutting your lawn
year-round.

This has happened to my next-door neighbor two years in a row. I'm
curious if this scam is done in other areas of the Gulf Coast.

Two years in a row? Sounds like your neighbor is OK with what the lawn
service is doing.

Is he complaining, or is it only you?

Shepherd

Tom Jaszewski 03-11-2003 06:42 AM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:33:47 GMT, "Shepherd"
wrote:

Some of them put down rye
grass seed without telling you. This keeps them busy cutting your lawn
year-round.

Some call it overseeding and like the strong winter color...

animaux 03-11-2003 02:02 PM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 22:43:17 -0800, Tom Jaszewski
opined:

Some call it overseeding and like the strong winter color...

We used to overseed, but the mowing is amazingly boring all winter. I actually
like the break in winter. Most commercial landscapes have winter fescue or rye.
For that, it's heaven sent. The landscape looks nice all year long in warmer
climates.

GaryM 03-11-2003 03:12 PM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

animaux wrote in
:

Most commercial landscapes have winter fescue or rye.

With an eye on not hijacking this thread, what are the attributes of
winter fescue and is it of any use on zone 6/7???

animaux 03-11-2003 08:32 PM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:07:27 GMT, GaryM opined:

animaux wrote in
:

Most commercial landscapes have winter fescue or rye.

With an eye on not hijacking this thread, what are the attributes of
winter fescue and is it of any use on zone 6/7???

To clarify, I live in south central Texas. The ground never freezes and
temperatures are cool enough to support these cool season grasses. In summer,
rye and fescue drop dead immediately.

The benefit of these turf grasses are especially important to commercial
application where occupants want an alive turf all winter. It has no other
benefit unless it's rye grown on open soil as a cover crop.

I don't overseed any more. I like to put the mower away in winter.

Lou Minatti 04-11-2003 02:22 AM

"Shepherd" wrote in message ...
"Lou Minatti" wrote in message
om...
Houston residents: If you pay a company to mow your lawn, watch them
from late September through early November. Some of them put down rye
grass seed without telling you. This keeps them busy cutting your lawn
year-round.

This has happened to my next-door neighbor two years in a row. I'm
curious if this scam is done in other areas of the Gulf Coast.

Two years in a row? Sounds like your neighbor is OK with what the lawn
service is doing.

I don't think you understand. This is a scam numerous companies are
running, not just one company. They get away with it because there are
hundreds of thousands of first-time home owners in the southern US who
don't know squat about their lawns.

Is he complaining, or is it only you?

Let's try again.

Neighbor has winter rye dumped on her lawn without her approval.
Neighbor doesn't want winter rye on her lawn.
Neighbor is now stuck paying a lawn company to cut the grass 52 weeks
every year, rather than 40 weeks out of every year.
Neighbor will now have to pay at least $240 more than she was
expecting to for lawn care this year.

Shepherd 04-11-2003 03:22 AM

"Shepherd" wrote in message

[...]

O.K., let's try again!

Maybe the lawn service pulled the wool over her eyes the first year, but she
must have been aware of the use of overseeding with annual rye the second
year and could have prevented it and/or refused to pay for it if was not
mentioned in the contract she signed.

As I said, sounds like she wanted winter rye so she could have a nice green
lawn all year. Many people do.

Besides, many of my neighbors have lawn services and only those who specify
winter rye used for overseeding in the winter get it and the service.
However, most don't even get their lawns overseeded.

Shepherd

Tom Jaszewski 04-11-2003 04:02 AM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

On 3 Nov 2003 18:19:43 -0800, (Lou Minatti)
wrote:

Let's try again.

Neighbor has winter rye dumped on her lawn without her approval.
Neighbor doesn't want winter rye on her lawn.
Neighbor is now stuck paying a lawn company to cut the grass 52 weeks
every year, rather than 40 weeks out of every year.
Neighbor will now have to pay at least $240 more than she was
expecting to for lawn care this year.

So hire a new company....and clearly indicate your to cheap to have a
green lawn year round

Lou Minatti 04-11-2003 12:02 PM

wrote:

Let's try again.

Neighbor has winter rye dumped on her lawn without her approval.
Neighbor doesn't want winter rye on her lawn.
Neighbor is now stuck paying a lawn company to cut the grass 52 weeks
every year, rather than 40 weeks out of every year.
Neighbor will now have to pay at least $240 more than she was
expecting to for lawn care this year.

So hire a new company....and clearly indicate your to cheap to have a
green lawn year round

I cut my own lawn. This is about my elderly neighbor who did NOT sign
a contract agreeing to lawn mowing year-round. But thanks to their
scam, now she has to have it done - which costs her 25% more than she
budgeted for annual lawn care. Can you grasp that?

Lou Minatti 04-11-2003 12:02 PM

"Shepherd" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, let us. You still don't understand.

Maybe the lawn service pulled the wool over her eyes the first year, but she
must have been aware of the use of overseeding with annual rye the second
year and could have prevented it and/or refused to pay for it if was not
mentioned in the contract she signed.

Who says she's using the same company? You are assuming something I
never said.

Now, you say she can simply not pay once the rye grass is discovered.
True. However, that doesn't solve the problem - a lawn that has to be
cut once a week from December-February. She can't do it, so she's
incurred a needless expense to service a product (rye grass) she never
requested.

As I said, sounds like she wanted winter rye so she could have a nice green
lawn all year. Many people do.

But she doesn't.

Besides, many of my neighbors have lawn services and only those who specify
winter rye used for overseeding in the winter get it and the service.

But she didn't request this service. Do you understand yet?

Wendy Chatley Green 04-11-2003 12:32 PM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

For some inexplicable reasons, (Lou Minatti)
wrote:

:I cut my own lawn. This is about my elderly neighbor who did NOT sign
:a contract agreeing to lawn mowing year-round. But thanks to their
:scam, now she has to have it done - which costs her 25% more than she
:budgeted for annual lawn care. Can you grasp that?

I'm sorry that your neighbor was duped by the same scam two
years in a row. Why don't you help out and mow for her?

--
Wendy Chatley Green

animaux 04-11-2003 01:32 PM

Beware of lawn mowing company scam

On 4 Nov 2003 03:46:04 -0800, (Lou Minatti) opined:

I cut my own lawn. This is about my elderly neighbor who did NOT sign
a contract agreeing to lawn mowing year-round. But thanks to their
scam, now she has to have it done - which costs her 25% more than she
budgeted for annual lawn care. Can you grasp that?

Everybody grasps it. If it's a scam, she should call the district attorney's
office and register a complaint and sue for damages. Is that what you want to
hear?

Shepherd 04-11-2003 02:02 PM

"Shepherd" wrote in message

[...]

She got a contract, or at least should have. Didn't she read that contract
before signing it? Again, she should have!

If the lawn service did something, or did not do something, which is not
called out in her contract, and it cost her to lay out more money than
agreed upon, she can, and should take them to small claims court.

Do YOU understand yet?

Why doesn't she just get rid of the lawn services and have you take care of
her lawn for her?

Shepherd