Old 04-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Fleemo

Default Sunrise vs. Christmas Cactus

I've got a Sunrise cactus that I bought at the store, which came with
instructions to give it cold temperatures (40 degrees) in November and
December in order to have it bloom a few weeks later. I also have a
few Christmas cacti that were given to me and I'm not sure when their
bloom time is. Should I put them in the cold along with the Sunrise
cactus, or leave them inside where it's warm and hope they bloom?

-Fleemo
Old 04-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Sunrise Cactus A.K.A Easter Cactus = Hatiora (formerly Rhipsalidopsis) are
spring bloomers and will not respond to such treatment. They bloom as they
days begin to get longer.

Schlumbergera (Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus) are winter bloomers (short
day plants) and will respond to such treatment.

om...

Old 05-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Tom Randy

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 18:00:00 -0500, Fleemo wrote:

I've got a Sunrise cactus that I bought at the store, which came with
instructions to give it cold temperatures (40 degrees) in November and
December in order to have it bloom a few weeks later. I also have a few
Christmas cacti that were given to me and I'm not sure when their bloom
time is. Should I put them in the cold along with the Sunrise cactus, or
leave them inside where it's warm and hope they bloom?

-Fleemo

Give it cooler temps and it'll start budding for you.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You must not be aware that "Sunrise cactus" (= Hatiora (including
Rhipsalidopsis)) and "Christmas cactus" (= Schlumbergera (including
Zygocactus)) are not the same thing.

Old 05-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Fleemo

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:
Sunrise Cactus A.K.A Easter Cactus = Hatiora (formerly Rhipsalidopsis) are
spring bloomers and will not respond to such treatment. They bloom as they
days begin to get longer.

Schlumbergera (Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus) are winter bloomers (short
day plants) and will respond to such treatment.

But Cereoid, the tag for the Sunrise Cactus (Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri)
instructs:

"REBLOOMING: Around Oct-Nov, provide temperatures of 40-55 degrees F
for 8-10 weeks with moderate light. Bring inside and watch it bloom
approxmiately 2 months later."

Last year I did just that and the Easter Cactus bloomed beautifully.
However, the Christmas cacti I had sitting right next to it never
bloomed at all, which is why I'm wondering whether taking the
Christmas cacti outside this year should be avoided.

-Fleemo
Old 06-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom Randy

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:56:12 -0500, Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

You must not be aware that "Sunrise cactus" (= Hatiora (including
Rhipsalidopsis)) and "Christmas cactus" (= Schlumbergera (including
Zygocactus)) are not the same thing.

Ummm, yes I know. Thanks again for asking.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

I wasn't asking, I was telling you.

No, you didn't know.

If you do, tell us exactly how the two differ.

Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Hey, I'm not the one who wrote the tag.

If you do the math, it still didn't bloom until spring. There's typically
only 4 weeks in a month.

Fleemo wrote in message
om...

Old 07-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Fleemo

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message om...
Hey, I'm not the one who wrote the tag.

If you do the math, it still didn't bloom until spring. There's typically
only 4 weeks in a month.

My point is that I followed the Sunrise cactus' tag instructions and
it bloomed beautifully. It's the Christmas cacti that I'm wondering
about. Last year I gave it the same treatment as the Sunrise cactus,
putting it in the cold for a few weeks in November and December, yet
it never bloomed at all. So I'm wondering if the Christmas cacti would
prefer warmer temps in order to coax it to bloom, or should I again
try and give it the cold shoulder?