Old 07-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Gloria

Default Pecans in a pasture ?

I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

Old 07-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Gloria" wrote in message
I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a

horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

Assuming you normally remove the shell before you eat the pecan, I don't see
what the problem would be. Gather up the pecans, discard those that have
been damaged (the errant horse hoof?), wash off the remaining and prepare as
usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the
nutmeats should be fine.

pam - gardengal

Old 07-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Lar

In article M%Mqb.97233$mZ5.633491@attbi_s54, grdngal48
@comcast.net says...
wash off the remaining and prepare as
usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the
nutmeats should be fine.

The only other question would be being in a pasture, if
the tree is native, are the pecans worth the effort to
begin with.

--

http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...4/41/94792441R
IWSnU_fs.jpg

Old 07-11-2003, 03:12 PM

do a quick rinse in bleach if that is a comfort. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:02 PM
simy1

"Gloria" wrote in message ...
I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

I just threw away my entire carrot crop. why? I had forgotten that I
had manured the garden. I also let the lettuce bolt, so it gets tall.
I then eat only the top leaves, which are far above the ground. Hope
this helps.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Gloria" wrote in message ...
I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

You -do- plan to shell them, right?

Anyway, in baked goods no one will notice that extra tang.

Just kidding.

Wash them off, shell them and eat them.

J. Del Col
Old 07-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Shepherd

"simy1" wrote in message
om...
"Gloria" wrote in message

I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a

horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the

trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about

health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

Gloria

I just threw away my entire carrot crop. why? I had forgotten that I
had manured the garden. I also let the lettuce bolt, so it gets tall.
I then eat only the top leaves, which are far above the ground. Hope
this helps.

My grandfather was a farmer and put a crop in every year until he died at
85.

He always used manure on his food crops as did all the farmers in our area.

No one that I'm aware of had any health problems from eating any the
vegetables.

Shepherd

Old 07-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Janet Baraclough

"Gloria" wrote in message

The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion?

You'd better not ask where eggs come out :-)

Janet

Old 07-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Tom J

"Gloria" wrote in message
I have access to free pecans, all I care to harvest, but they are in a horse
pasture, and of course, there is manure scattered about under the trees.
Are these pecans safe to eat? The idea of eating pecans that have fallen
where the horses deposit their manure has me a bit concerned about health
issues. Does anyone have an opinion? TIA

I am 74 years old and have been eating pecans that came from trees that are in
a cow pasture and a hog pasture all my life. Still do!! I don't eat the
shells and don't gather nuts with fresh manure attached. ;-)

Tom J
who loves anything with pecans

Old 07-11-2003, 08:12 PM
madgardener

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 14:33:01 GMT, Lar wrote:

In article M%Mqb.97233$mZ5.633491@attbi_s54, grdngal48
says...
wash off the remaining and prepare as
usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the
nutmeats should be fine.

The only other question would be being in a pasture, if
the tree is native, are the pecans worth the effort to
begin with.

and my answer to that is a resounding hell yes!!! Just because Gloria
lives in Alabama don't mean the pecans are unedible. There is a hard
outer shell, like Pam says, it's green, that protects the inner
pecan.... Gloria. It'll stain yer hands like black walnuts outer hulls
do g but in the long run, you'll have a butt load of free pecans!!
(I can taste the banana nut bread now....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm) Even
better, buy a cheap box of yaller cake mix and over beat it with an
extra egg and use buttermilk instead of water or milk, and add two
cups of chopped pecans to the batter and put into a loaf pan. LORD
woman!!! heaven in a loaf! GBSEG
madgardener who has a pecan tree in town where she lives were it not
that this year was the light nut year for the tree would be down there
harvesting the nuts off the tree from the bed of the truck!

Old 07-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Salty Thumb

madgardener wrote in
:

woman!!! heaven in a loaf! GBSEG

hi Mad,

Your long-time friends in the group are probably too polite to say
anything, but you don't really mean that, do you? Not in this particular
thread, anyway?

GBMEG ;-)
Old 08-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom J

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article M%Mqb.97233$mZ5.633491@attbi_s54, grdngal48
@comcast.net says...
wash off the remaining and prepare as
usual for consumption. Those hard shells are there for a purpose - the
nutmeats should be fine.

The only other question would be being in a pasture, if
the tree is native, are the pecans worth the effort to
begin with.

The native (seedling) pecan is the very best there is. They are small so it
takes a lot more cracking and picking to get the meat out, but they are more
oily and full flavored. These are the nuts in the very best candies.

Tom J
who has about 50# of shelled seedling pecans in the freezer

Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 AM
Gloria

"Lar" wrote in message The only other question
would be being in a pasture, if
the tree is native, are the pecans worth the effort to
begin with.

The pecans are big, the meat is plump, very much worth the effort. I don't
know if they are native but I don't think so. I grew up in the middle of a
nine acre non-native pecan orchard. Trust me, there won't be enough pecans
left over for the varmints. In fact they'll be stored inside the house
where they'll be safe from varmints. I love to just crack 'em and eat 'em,
oh and put them in fudge and brownies, and make pecan pies, and buttered
parched pecans. And they're good in tuna or chicken salad, or sprinkled
over a tossed green salad. OK, I'm going pecan picking tomorrow and I'll
wash them off real good and let them dry and make sure I don't gather any
from the freshest piles. Thank you all for your input.

Gloria

[IMG] code is On

Pasture planting anyone? Volfie Gardening 4 17-11-2004 11:26 PM
Advice needed - Tilling weeds to plant pasture grass XDeus Gardening 1 19-12-2003 04:34 PM
Racoons eating pecans Gene Texas 2 13-11-2003 01:13 PM
Racoons eating pecans Gene Texas 2 03-11-2003 05:03 PM
looking for online data base for pasture legumes & grasses len brauer Australia 2 11-06-2003 05:44 AM