Old 08-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Shiltsy

Default Late Spruce transplants

I think it's a little late for transplanting in MN (zone 4), but I
recently found 6 small Spruce trees (1'-2') in the wild and want to
try transplanting to my yard. We've had an unusually cold fall and
the average daily high's have been in the 30's. The ground isn't
frozen yet, and I think we may have a warm-up on the way.

The question is this, should I pot-up these transplants and keep them
in a sunny basement window to develop some more roots before putting
them outside? I'm afraid if I move them directly outside that the
damaged roots won't be able to grow any further because of the temps.
By potting them and waiting for a few weeks, will I screw up their
dormancy schedule?

Any thoughts would be great!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Shiltsy" wrote in message
om...
I think it's a little late for transplanting in MN (zone 4), but I
recently found 6 small Spruce trees (1'-2') in the wild and want to
try transplanting to my yard. We've had an unusually cold fall and
the average daily high's have been in the 30's. The ground isn't
frozen yet, and I think we may have a warm-up on the way.

The question is this, should I pot-up these transplants and keep them
in a sunny basement window to develop some more roots before putting
them outside? I'm afraid if I move them directly outside that the
damaged roots won't be able to grow any further because of the temps.
By potting them and waiting for a few weeks, will I screw up their
dormancy schedule?

Any thoughts would be great!

And what will you do with them in a few weeks when the ground IS frozen?
Plants adapted to the outdoors simply will not do well indoors, despite all
our good intentions - wintess the fatalities of so many "living" Chrtistmas
trees as an example. Since your ground is not yet frozen, dig them
carefully, attempting to keep as many large roots intact as possible, and
replant immediately. Don't forget to water them in well. The roots will
still put on growth - plants that are adapted to northern climates continue
to to develop root systems well into the winter. They will be far happier in
the ground than they would be inside a structure for any period of time.

pam - gardengal

Old 08-11-2003, 07:02 PM
BT

"Shiltsy" wrote in message
om...
I think it's a little late for transplanting in MN (zone 4), but I
recently found 6 small Spruce trees (1'-2') in the wild and want to...

Uh, you "found" these in the "wild"? I assume you own the "wild" property or
else you are STEALING. If they are in fact your trees, then I suggest you use a
shovel to slice down into the soil around the edge of the tree, but don't
undercut it. Leave it there for the winter and then in the early spring go back
and finish digging out the tree. By cutting around the tree now, you will
encourage more root mass to develop withing the "root-ball" and it will do very
well come spring transplant time. Also you won't have to worry about mulching
it to prevent frost heave.

Just as an aside, I am sick and tired of people stealing the trees in the "wild"
on my property! I wish people could at least have the decency to ask permission
before they just go ripping out trees and plants that don't belong to them!

BT

Old 08-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Shiltsy

Just as an aside, I am sick and tired of people stealing the trees in the "wild"
on my property! I wish people could at least have the decency to ask permission
before they just go ripping out trees and plants that don't belong to them!

Yikes, somebody needs to relax a bit... I moved them from my own land, pal.