Old 15-11-2003, 10:02 PM
Bruce W...1

Default Potted plant water loss from evaporation?

On your garden variety potted plant, say a small ficus tree or whatever,
how much of the water it is given gets evaporated from the top of the
soil?

If substantial, what are good ways to prevent this?

I travel a lot so I'm trying to come up with ways to reduce watering
needs. I've heard of people putting rocks on top of the soil to reduce
evaporation. And I was thinking that I could fit a plastic picnic plate
to the top of the pot. But then there would be a dark and damp place
between this and the soil. Might mold grow here?

What's the best way to reduce evaporation losses?

Thanks for you help.
Old 15-11-2003, 11:42 PM
hermine stover

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:46:28 -0500, "Bruce W...1"
wrote:

What's the best way to reduce evaporation losses?

Thanks for you help.

I have used black sheet plastic covered with bark or pebble mulch for
cosmetics. not only in containers, but on the ground, with soaker
hoses running under this. i live in a hot dry place. this works as
long as you keep the soil moist enough; otherwise you can encourage
ant colonies of record-breaking size!

hermine
Old 16-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

wrote:

What's the best way to reduce evaporation losses?

Thanks for you help.

I have used black sheet plastic covered with bark or pebble mulch for
cosmetics. not only in containers, but on the ground, with soaker
hoses running under this. i live in a hot dry place. this works as
long as you keep the soil moist enough; otherwise you can encourage
ant colonies of record-breaking size!

hermine

What an incredibly ridiculous practice. It robs oxygen! Steven is
right you're clueless....
Old 16-11-2003, 07:02 AM
hermine stover

I have used black sheet plastic covered with bark or pebble mulch for
cosmetics. not only in containers, but on the ground, with soaker
hoses running under this. i live in a hot dry place. this works as
long as you keep the soil moist enough; otherwise you can encourage
ant colonies of record-breaking size!

hermine

What an incredibly ridiculous practice. It robs oxygen! Steven is
right you're clueless....

well, i did not even INVENT this method! and, ASTOUNDINGLY enough,
the plastic is NOT hermetically sealed to the plant material and to
the edges of a container, it is loose laid. Now, if you think that
plants have actual mammal-type LUNGS lying about just below the soil
line, I guess you might think you are making some sense. But the other
thing is...the plants which have been grown like this are simply
marvellous, and maintain positive hydrostasis.
you and your bud are apparently enjoying a folie à deux.
hermine
ps sometimes i do use a plastic coated paper plate with a seam cut to
a hole in the center. so far, no aspyxiation has taken place.
Old 16-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

On your garden variety potted plant, say a small ficus tree or whatever,
how much of the water it is given gets evaporated from the top of the
soil?

If substantial, what are good ways to prevent this?

With indoor pot-plants, a much greater cause of problems is
overwatering and standing water, which causes root-rot and encourages
a variety of fungus diseases.

The popular 'Weeping Fig' (ficus benjamina) prefers "evenly moist"
soil, high humidity, and warm temperatures (65-85F). Letting the soil
dry out slightly (to a depth of 1/2" or so) between waterings is
recommended. This is true of many 'indoor plants' -- they need water,
but not sog.

If you are seeking "easy care" solutions to watering chores, there are
many commercial and home-brew solutions involving reservoirs and
wicks. IMHO, it's easier to just water plants as needed.

Old 17-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

"hermine stover" wrote in message

you and your bud are apparently enjoying a folie à deux.
hermine

Absolutely, we both have a severe mental disorder which prevents us from
being comfortable with wallowing in our own feces...

Old 17-11-2003, 07:22 AM
hermine stover

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:59:02 -0800, "Tom Jaszewski"
wrote:

"hermine stover" wrote in message
.. .

you and your bud are apparently enjoying a folie à deux.
hermine

Absolutely, we both have a severe mental disorder which prevents us from
being comfortable with wallowing in our own feces...

BUT YOU SURE LIKE TO TALK ABOUT 'EM!
herm

[IMG] code is On

evaporation rate is worrying me Larry Ponds 0 15-08-2004 03:12 AM
Evaporation rate guesses bob carwell Ponds 14 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
evaporation bighead Ponds 4 04-07-2003 08:41 PM
Evaporation rtk Ponds 1 01-07-2003 07:08 PM
reducing evaporation from any water or soil surface Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 0 05-05-2003 01:20 AM