Old 16-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Zemedelec

Default Ginger, glorious ginger

I ran into some people selling a couple of pots of the hedychium ginger they'd
relocated in their garden yesterday ("garage sale day".) My God was it a
gorgeous color: a deep, deep pink with a little orange in it--and those tall
spikes ! I THINK it's a cultivar called Walt Disney that a nursery wanted to
sell me for about $30. These people wanted $5 fo a foot-high, foot-wide
plastic pot of the stuff. I can't wait to see the plants next summer--they
were already mature, so they ought to bloom like crazy.
zemedelec
Old 17-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Skirmishd

I ran into some people selling a couple of pots of the hedychium
ginger they'd
relocated in their garden yesterday ("garage sale day".) My God was it a
gorgeous color: a deep, deep pink with a little orange in it--and those

tall
spikes ! I THINK it's a cultivar called Walt Disney that a nursery
wanted to
sell me for about $30. These people wanted $5 fo a foot-high, foot-wide
plastic pot of the stuff. I can't wait to see the plants next summer--they
were already mature, so they ought to bloom like crazy.

Lucky you!!!

IMHO there's more fun and pleasure from that kind of unexpected
treasure trove in a jumble sale or charity stall, than any other way of
acquiring plants. Some of my best finds have been a small cutting rooted
in a faded old yoghurt pot, or a chunk of root wrapped in wet newspaper;
often without a label. Sometimes the seller has cut a flower from the
mother-plant and laid it on the stall to show what's promised; sometimes
the only name they know for the plant is a local nickname. Like a plant
I bought for 50 pence, labelled "Stormin' Norman"; which is better known
as aeonium schwartzkopf.

:-)

Janet

I used to have one of those aeoniums - beautiful plants!

I bought a pregnant onion (Ornithogalum longibracteatum) for a buck at a garage
sale over 15 years ago. I've given its babies to many people, and the plant
puts up a tall flower stalk several times a year.
When the little green and white flowers are done with, the stalk makes a good
toy for the cats to chase.
Old 17-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Zemedelec

Like a plant
I bought for 50 pence, labelled "Stormin' Norman"; which is better known
as aeonium schwartzkopf. BRBR

I love the local name. I bet it took off like a rocket!
zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

Rain! Glorious rain! FarmI Australia 12 01-10-2009 09:05 AM
Glorious day! Hamer Family United Kingdom 1 13-06-2009 06:13 PM
Glorious Weeds Jane Doe Garden Photos 1 03-07-2007 12:35 PM
Glorious Scented Clematis Janice United Kingdom 3 22-06-2003 01:32 PM