Old 18-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Mike

Default (re- post )emerald green arborvitae

I don't know why, but google attached my first post (from the 12th) to
a thread from 1997. Go figuire. I reposted below. Thanks in a advance.

Original post:

I planted eleven emerald green arborvitae (evergreens) 2 months ago
and used pure peat moss (along with some dog turds) as backfill for
the rootball. They're each about two feet tall. I have kept up on
keeping them watered, they are watered at least six days a week. I
live in Pittsburgh.

My question: I have two seventy pound dogs, and have taken the habit
of tossing their poop at the mounds around the rootballs. Is this a
bad idea? I would expect it to fertilize them, but can it fertilize
them too much? Each tree is getting about three turds a week at this
rate.

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly question, but their urine
(females) kills my grass, so I was worried about the same effect on my
new trees.

Any helpful hint would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 18-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Karen" wrote in message
m...
Not an expert. But I think you're killing your trees slowly with good

intention.

I'd agree. Peat moss is not highly recommended as a soil amendment - it is
an unrenewable resource, adds very limited nutritive value and holds too
much mositure, specially when used as the only backfill. Current
horticultural practice is to backfill with only native soil, or in lieu of
that, amend the entire planting bed rather than individual planting holes.
Watering 6 days a week is overkill, specially in the fall and winter when
rainfall tends to be more plentiful. A deep soaking once a week or every 10
days to 2 weeks is sufficient is rainfall is scanty.

And using uncomposted animal waste, specially from carnivores, is never a
wise idea. In addition to aesthetic and sanitary concerns, you run the risk
of burning the plants with too much nitrogen. A good composted organic mulch
is much more advisable.

pam - gardengal