GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bouganvillia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/47532-re-bouganvillia.html)

Zemedelec 20-11-2003 05:07 PM

Bouganvillia

Colonies of birds breed in this ivy
and their screeching, twittering and cawing keep me awake at 4.00 in the
morning. I hope my bouganvillea will camoflage the hideous mess.

Good luck. And with those inch-long, iron-hard thorns it may even serve as a
natural "Bird-Away".

BRBR

zemedelec

Aria 21-11-2003 03:42 AM

Bouganvillia

I live in the desert and all the neighbors have huge Bouganvillia's climbing
all over the place. My piddly plants have been in the ground for over 2
years and stand no more than a 1 1/2. Can't figure out what the deal is???
Any suggestions??

Peter Jason 22-11-2003 02:04 AM

Bouganvillia

To get my two bougainvilleas, I planted five small plants in a row and only
two of these grew. I bought them from a supermarket.
When I plant this sort of thing I always plant several different types
together so that the inferior ones can be discarded later, and this saves
time.
Evidently some plants are weaker, or badly grafted and do far worse than
others.

Shell91 22-11-2003 02:04 AM

Bouganvillia

Feral garden :) I like that :) Conjures up all sorts of interesting images

Shell

"Peter Jason" wrote in message

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I am growing a violet and white bouganvilliea along a fence trellis,

but
does anyone know how far from the parent plant this can be done?

I have seen them spread 8 m or more but if you want to cover a long
fence you will get a better and quicker result with several plants (say)
4-5 m apart.

What does your neighbour think of the thorny leaders heading over the
fence?

David

My neighbour has a feral garden; it is one big thicket. Not only is it
inpenetratable, but one of his ivys had crawled up another neighbour's

sheer
brick wall and smothered it completely. Colonies of birds breed in this

Pam - gardengal 26-11-2003 05:05 PM

Bouganvillia

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
I am growing a violet and white bouganvilliea along a fence trellis, but
does anyone know how far from the parent plant this can be done?

You mean how far it will spread or vine? The most common hybrid forms can
reach 40 feet or so when mature.

Sis 26-06-2004 07:02 PM

Bouganvillia

Yes, it is warmer. Sis
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Sis" wrote in message
Thanks so much for your advice. I live in Pa. I thought they bloomed all
season. My cousin in Ca has them and I thought I remember that hers

bloomed
all summer. Sis

My knowledge of USA geography is not wonderful but I am guessing that the
summer is a fair bit warmer and longer at your cousin's place than yours,

is
that so?

David