Old 22-11-2003, 05:02 AM
animaux

Default Please identify this palm tree

This was taken in early November, in Houston, TX. The tree is about 30ish feet
tall and had many of the small dates on it. The photos were beautiful in Paint
Shop Pro, but Explorer killed them.

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/newgarden/

I think it's a Canary Island date palm. I did collect seeds as the photo's
indicate. Are they easy to germinate and how fast does this tree grow?

Thanks, V

Old 28-11-2003, 10:02 PM
FOW

Looks like a Canary Island date palm to me. Mine has grown about 6 inches a
year for about 7 years in Northern Calif. They can grow faster in fertile
soil and with lot's of food. They will really take off after 10 years.
Look up on google: Phoenix Canariensis

Old 29-11-2003, 03:32 AM
animaux

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm drying the seeds now and plan to plant them
in the spring, sometime in early March.

Victoria

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:46:48 GMT, "FOW" opined:

Looks like a Canary Island date palm to me. Mine has grown about 6 inches a
year for about 7 years in Northern Calif. They can grow faster in fertile
soil and with lot's of food. They will really take off after 10 years.
Look up on google: Phoenix Canariensis
.. .

Old 29-11-2003, 05:12 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Hey Vi,

Is your yard big enough?

tj

"animaux" wrote in message
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm drying the seeds now and plan to plant

them
in the spring, sometime in early March.

Victoria

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:46:48 GMT, "FOW" opined:

Looks like a Canary Island date palm to me. Mine has grown about 6 inches

year for about 7 years in Northern Calif. They can grow faster in fertile
soil and with lot's of food. They will really take off after 10 years.
Look up on google: Phoenix Canariensis
.. .

Old 29-11-2003, 04:42 PM
animaux

Probably not! Actually we have half acre. I'm anticipating the old growth
mesquite out back will probably not survive much longer. It is in the direct
way of all the westerly winds. Half of it was ripped out the last major winds
we had and it doesn't look all that great.

Either way, I do have a spot out front. I can see this tree needs a footprint
of approximately 4 feet in diameter, when mature. I think I can provide that.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:08:04 -0800, "Tom Jaszewski"
opined:

Hey Vi,

Is your yard big enough?

tj

"animaux" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm drying the seeds now and plan to plant

them
in the spring, sometime in early March.

Victoria

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:46:48 GMT, "FOW" opined:

Looks like a Canary Island date palm to me. Mine has grown about 6 inches

year for about 7 years in Northern Calif. They can grow faster in fertile
soil and with lot's of food. They will really take off after 10 years.
Look up on google: Phoenix Canariensis
.. .

Old 01-12-2003, 01:42 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Interesting comments on mesquite, the misused 20-30' shrub. All these
SW yahoos trying to tie them up qand make single trunk trees.

I'd say a P. canariensis needs at LEAST a 400 sq ft area to thrive.
When confined the r1 roots dominate and culture becomes qa prblem.
Sounds like a half acre will have some room. Tjey really are beatiful
trees when properly pruned and cultured.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:40:44 GMT, animaux wrote:

Probably not! Actually we have half acre. I'm anticipating the old growth
mesquite out back will probably not survive much longer. It is in the direct
way of all the westerly winds. Half of it was ripped out the last major winds
we had and it doesn't look all that great.

Either way, I do have a spot out front. I can see this tree needs a footprint
of approximately 4 feet in diameter, when mature. I think I can provide that.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:08:04 -0800, "Tom Jaszewski"
opined:

Hey Vi,

Is your yard big enough?

tj

"animaux" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm drying the seeds now and plan to plant

them
in the spring, sometime in early March.

Victoria

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:46:48 GMT, "FOW" opined:

Looks like a Canary Island date palm to me. Mine has grown about 6 inches

year for about 7 years in Northern Calif. They can grow faster in fertile
soil and with lot's of food. They will really take off after 10 years.
Look up on google: Phoenix Canariensis
.. .