GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sabal Palm planted but not taking off (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/47816-sabal-palm-planted-but-not-taking-off.html)

[email protected] 26-11-2003 05:42 PM

Sabal Palm planted but not taking off

I planted a sabal texana this past April with a 7' trunk and while it
had healthy cut back green leaves, it has yet to take off. Most of the
foliage went brown except for the center 2 fans. I don't know if I
should keep the ground very wet, moist, or just rely on the rain. I
live in the western part of Texas where we get an unreliable 22 inches
of rain per year. I also have 2 Washingtonia Robustas that I planted
at the same time and one has a crown of big fans and the other is like
this sabal, green in the middle, but just sits there and won't take
off. I figured it might be too hot (I read somewhere where you're
supposed to shade the fans from too much sun when you start them out,
which I didn't).

Can you overwater? This is dark black ground with no sand or rocks. I
also killed back the bermuda grass in about a 5' radius of the palms
with roundup to keep the grass from competing.

if you want to email me direct, take the Z's out of my email address

J Kolenovsky 26-11-2003 07:02 PM

Sabal Palm planted but not taking off

I like the way this author describes growth rate - SLOW!
http://www.texasgardencenter.com/sabal_texana.htm

wrote:
=

[...]

-- =