GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/47858-desperately-seeking-wall-climbing-evergreen-ivy.html)

Peter Jason 27-11-2003 09:02 PM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

For the side of the house that needs constant painting. The wall in
question faces the rising sun and sits on clay soil. Can anyone recommend
an evergreen ivy for this project?
Please help.

Jim W 27-11-2003 11:04 PM

Peter Jason wrote:

For the side of the house that needs constant painting. The wall in
question faces the rising sun and sits on clay soil. Can anyone recommend
an evergreen ivy for this project?
Please help.

Hedera helix (Ivy or known as English Ivy in the US..)
Pick a cultivar from the huge number here..
http://www.fibrex.co.uk/
Take your pick from the ones coded as 'Cl' (for climbing) Once you;ve
chosen one I'm sure the group can help you track down a supplier in your
location..

Jim

Mark 28-11-2003 01:22 AM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

In article ,
says...
For the side of the house that needs constant painting. The wall in
question faces the rising sun and sits on clay soil. Can anyone recommend
an evergreen ivy for this project?
Please help.

You don't mention what the wall material is. Be aware that
anything other than brick/stone/masonry is subject to
potential damage from the vine.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Peter Jason 28-11-2003 04:32 AM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

Many thanx, I'll check this out.

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1g53u1y.10r9ee01qzwk2dN%00senetnospamtodayta@ macunlimited.net...

Peter Jason 28-11-2003 06:02 AM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

Yes, it is cement render.

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article ,
says...

Jim W 28-11-2003 09:42 AM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

Peter Jason wrote:

Yes, it is cement render.

Modern cement render 'should' be OK providing it is checked on a regular
basis for maintainance purposes.. A lot of the myth of ivy being
'damageing' comes from instances where its supporting striucture (be it
wall, house, tree etc) has already been allowed to come into a state of
disrepair through neglect.. Either through complete neglect or because
people do not bother to check up close whilst the structure is covered
by the vine..

Jim

Paul E. Lehmann 28-11-2003 03:22 PM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article ,
says...
For the side of the house that needs constant painting. The wall in
question faces the rising sun and sits on clay soil. Can anyone

recommend
an evergreen ivy for this project?
Please help.

You don't mention what the wall material is. Be aware that
anything other than brick/stone/masonry is subject to
potential damage from the vine.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Can English Ivy kill trees? I see some on some dead or dying trees around
here but I don't know if the Ivy killed the trees or they were already dead.

Jim W 28-11-2003 05:32 PM

Desperately seeking a wall-climbing evergreen ivy.

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article ,
says...
For the side of the house that needs constant painting. The wall in
question faces the rising sun and sits on clay soil. Can anyone

recommend
an evergreen ivy for this project?
Please help.

You don't mention what the wall material is. Be aware that
anything other than brick/stone/masonry is subject to
potential damage from the vine.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Triple Z is spam control.

Can English Ivy kill trees? I see some on some dead or dying trees around
here but I don't know if the Ivy killed the trees or they were already dead.

It won't kill trees... It CAN compete with trees for light and food if
it gets into the crown and becomes arborescent itself..

It WILL add 'sail' area to trees making them have a much greater weight
and wind resitancce than normal so any weak trees will be more likley to
fall or be blown over by strong winds..

IVY is not a thug, but SHOULD be treated with respect.

Noting your original post you may wish to check on suitability/tolerance
of cultivars to sun, as Ivy is originally a plant of UK European
woodlands. There are plenty of cultivars that will tolerate and thrive
in full sun once established though.

Jim

Pam - gardengal 28-11-2003 10:42 PM

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message

Can English Ivy kill trees? I see some on some dead or dying trees around
here but I don't know if the Ivy killed the trees or they were already

dead.

Given enough time and unchecked growth, yes, English ivy can kill trees. It
can form a canopy dense enough so that the tree is unable to photosythesize
properly, as well as rendering the tree top heavy and subject to increased
wind damage. It is a pretty common phenomenon here in the PNW, where English
ivy has invaded greenbelts and natural areas to a huge degree.

pam - gardengal