Old 28-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike Gilmore

Default Clethra delavayi, Viburnum x carlcephalum & Dipelta floribunda

Hi,
Can anyone with actual growing experience provide some basic location info
for planting the above?
Have zone info. Have new potplant but wish to know if require mulching for
moisture prevention, wind/sun info, growth (height each year after initial
18 month settling). My soil is 5.5pH - 7pH. Heavy but nutritious, drainage
is quite good, though at this time of year everything is wet
--
Regards
Mike Gilmore

Old 29-11-2003, 01:32 AM
David J Bockman

Mike! How goes the astounding garden?

Viburnum x carlcephalum grows 6 to 10' high with an equal spread. Habit is
somewhat open and loose (so says Dirr, may experiences are it can get to 12'
over time, and tighter in full sun.) Again Dirr recommends and I
wholeheartedly agree that Viburnum x carlcephalum 'Cayuga' is a great
cultivar alternative to this somewhat lumpy shrub. Regardless, it's tolerant
of widely varying pH but would appreciate MAWD-- moist, acidic, well-drained
soil and partial to full sun. If you get really baked in full sun then high
shade or dappled sunshine would be best, else the leaves will wilt and the
shrub will generally have a bedraggled look.The flower buds are distinctly
pink but open pure white.

I note you say you're in 9a-- all the books I've read indicate Viburnum x
carlcephalum is only good as warm as Zone 8...

Dave

"Mike Gilmore" wrote in
message ...

Old 29-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Mike Gilmore

Dave.Thanks for your encouragement! I do hope you enjoyed the site. I try
to make it as informative and interesting as I possibly can.
I made the enquiry in the first place because in my humble experience many
plant labels over here often underestimate the eventual size of plants for
the benefit of the inexperienced with modest suburban gardens. Thanks for
the info on the Viburnum

Zone 9a is correct as we have the benefit of the gulf stream across the
Atlantic. However, because of our westerly location we also suffer wind and
rain. Both of which affect tempertures but our modest ultimate lows
(around -3C for shortperiods) keep us in the high zone.E.g. Currently I have
a honeysuckle, a Tree poppy in flowertogether with penstemons and
alstroemerias from my window as I type this -- granted not Florida but not
Minnesota either.

Old 29-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Pam - gardengal

"David J Bockman" wrote in message

I note you say you're in 9a-- all the books I've read indicate Viburnum x
carlcephalum is only good as warm as Zone 8...

Dave

Dave, IME, upper hardiness "limits" are not very meaningful. While they may
definitely have some bearing in those zones that get very hot summers with
high humidity, in more temperate zones, they just don't seem to apply. For
example I grow all manner of plants which are listed upto zone 7 and I am in
zone 8 (soon to be bumped up to 9). But then, high summer temps with high
humidity are not a concern here.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-11-2003, 05:22 PM
David J Bockman

Wish I had your climate! Upper limits are easily reached here with such
trees as white birch, sugar maples, and Tamaracks... they just hate our warm
nights.

Dave