Old 30-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default not a Mystery Plant - Alpinia zerumbet

Those ARE the flowers, you knucklehead.

The whitish "pods" are actually the flower buds.
Flowers that are bird pollinated do not open widely.

Its a "Shell Ginger", Alpinia zerumbet.
Its a very common plant in cultivation in the tropics and subtropics,
invasive and a potential weed.

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week064.shtml

http://www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/i...nia_zerumbet_t
humbnails.htm

http://www.kobakoba.co.uk/alpinia%20zerumbet.htm

http://dynamics.org/~altenber/PROJECTS/ALPINIA/

Now you get back to all those "authorities" in your SoCal neighborhood that
didn't know what it was and straighten them out. Its should have been in one
of your garden books.

GregR wrote in message
animaux wrote:

It can be any number of things, including heliconia, bird of

paradise...others.
If it has flowers I'm positive people can identify it, but foliage only

is not
helpful.

No flowers as of right now, but it does have some white-ish "pods" that

look like
they're about to open. Looks like the flowers are going to be yellow, with

reddish tint to the lower interior:

http://tinyurl.com/x0jp
http://tinyurl.com/x0k0

--

GregR

Old 08-12-2003, 08:02 AM
GregR

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Those ARE the flowers, you knucklehead.

The whitish "pods" are actually the flower buds.
Flowers that are bird pollinated do not open widely.

I never claimed to be a gardener, but I'm definitely willing to learn. Up to
now my only experience has been with container citrus, palms, and the like. I
inherited this stuff from the people who used to live here.

Its a "Shell Ginger", Alpinia zerumbet.
Its a very common plant in cultivation in the tropics and subtropics,
invasive and a potential weed.

Thanks for the links and the info, I assume since it's considered an "invasive
plant" in Hawaii that it's fairly easy to propagate? I wouldn't mind having one
for my own when I move out of here in a year or so.

Now you get back to all those "authorities" in your SoCal neighborhood that
didn't know what it was and straighten them out. Its should have been in one
of your garden books.

Thanks for the info, despite your semi-abrasive attitude... ;-)

--

GregR

Old 08-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't be such a prissy fusspot for a pod person passing as a nobody from
nowhere.
Just playing, gingerbread.

Yeah, Alpinia zerumbet is easy to propagate.
If you did indeed check out the links provided, you would see its a noxious

Old 08-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Beecrofter

GregR wrote in message ...
Cereoid-UR12- wrote:

Those ARE the flowers, you knucklehead.

Eventually Ceroid will grow up, I was forty before I could look at
someone and say
"I don't think it can be accomplished in that manner" instead of
"What? are you ****ing nuts!"

Anyway the pine cone ginger or shampoo plants look pretty awesome. I
wish I could figure out why my blooms no longer come out red just
green knob and ivory flowers.
Zingeber zerumbet.
I now have a Burbidgea I am trying to grow.
No worries about invasiveness here, looking out my window at a foot of
snow!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Charles

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:08:10 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Don't be such a prissy fusspot for a pod person passing as a nobody from
nowhere.
Just playing, gingerbread.

Yeah, Alpinia zerumbet is easy to propagate.
If you did indeed check out the links provided, you would see its a noxious
weed!!!

So how do you get them to bloom? I have some, some variegated, some
not. They just get bigger and bigger.

I went to several local (100 miles) nurseries and got what gingers I
could find. The Kahili ginger is the only one that has bloomed so
far, the white ginger is still a bit small.
--

- Charles
-