GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mulching in North Carolina (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/47977-mulching-north-carolina.html)

Steve Bouton 30-11-2003 10:02 PM

Mulching in North Carolina

I just put some mulch down covering ground cover plants and day
lillies with about 4" of processed wood mulch. Should I have covered
them or should I have just applied mulch around the roots leacing the
portion above the surface open to the elements?

Thanks,

Steve

animaux 01-12-2003 01:43 AM

Mulching in North Carolina

Unless you want dead plants, remove mulch from on top and don't allow mulch to
touch the crown of plants.

On 30 Nov 2003 13:47:43 -0800, (Steve Bouton) opined:

Bobby Baxter 01-12-2003 02:02 AM

Mulching in North Carolina

I am in central North Carolina and always mulch with mini pine bark nuggets.
I generally have three inches of mulch around all my plants. Some of the
daylilies do go completely dormant and the foliage will disappear during the
winter. I do not move the mulch when they go dormant. They are dormant so
it does not matter. In spring, the best looking daylilies are the dormants.
The evergreens and semi-evergreens have mushy foliage until after the last
frost.

Bobby

--
Bobby Baxter
TheGardenSite.com

TheGardenSite.com: http://thegardensite.com
Daylily Gardens Of The World: http://daylily.net/gardens
Gardens Of The World: http://thegardensite.com/gardens
Iris Gardens Of The World: http://thegardensite.com/irises
Daylily.Net: http://daylily.net
GardenTalk Forum: http://thegardensite.com/gardentalk/

Steve 03-12-2003 12:33 AM

Mulching in North Carolina

Bobby,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Hampstead, just north of Wilmington
and about a mile from the Intracoastal Waterway. The day lillies have
stopped bloooming and the leaves are turning yellow. They are covered
with mulch now. I'll probably cut the leaves off int he early spring.

Thank you for your help.

Steve