GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   NW: Best grass for a non garden/non mowing kind of guy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/48016-nw-best-grass-non-garden-non-mowing-kind-guy.html)

Scott Cory 01-12-2003 08:36 PM

NW: Best grass for a non garden/non mowing kind of guy

Hello,

Been reading your great posts and I have to apologize ahead of time as
I dont have the gardening bug. But I sure could use your help.

We are a week away from moving into our new house and had a very
advanced (and expensive! *ugh*) drip septic system put in.

What I need to know is the best grass for a non garden guy. I am
hoping to mow as little as possible but I still want something that I
can walk on. The biggest need is to preserve the ground and prevent
runoff. Ideally I would like something to spray on or seed.

I know this has been discussed on the groups numerous times and I have
followed around the threads. But many people look at grass as a labor
of love and I am looking at it a bit more conventionally.

Oh, the lawn area would be maybe 3,500 square feet if that makes a
difference

Thanks for any thoughts

Scott

JNJ 01-12-2003 11:22 PM

Best grass for a non garden/non mowing kind of guy

If you find mowing that adverse, then perhaps you should consider not using
grass at all. There are any of a number of ground covers that you can plant
instead and they will serve the same purpose as grass without the mowing.
Additionally, if you section the space out and plant a few perennial beds,
maybe a tree or two, you can reduce the overall mowing area significantly
while not at all adding a high degree of maintenance tasks.

James

hermine stover 02-12-2003 12:22 AM

On 1 Dec 2003 12:25:55 -0800, (Scott Cory) wrote:
But many people look at grass as a labor
of love and I am looking at it a bit more conventionally.

Oh, the lawn area would be maybe 3,500 square feet if that makes a
difference

Thanks for any thoughts

Scott

Well, i despise lawns and would sooner install parquet flooring
outdoors as mow a lawn. let me ask you this, do you live in a place
which forbids such things as "meadows"? a meadow is a delightful
thing or place, it allows for picnics and other oudoor adventures and
does not require mowing. the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens publishes a
booklet on groundcovers and grasses; i wrote a wee chapter on dwarf
groundcover bamboos for it...but it is also full of other things you
could plant, many of which would add up to an actual meadow. lawns are
evil things, they lead to golf and mowing and other dangerous
pastimes.

I support your efforts fully.

Travis 02-12-2003 06:32 AM

Scott Cory wrote:
[...]

If NW in the subject line means the Pacific Northwest it is too late to
plant a lawn from seed but you might get away with using sod.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Scott Cory 04-12-2003 05:32 AM

NW: Best grass for a non garden/non mowing kind of guy

Yes, I too hate lawns. I promised my entire family I would NOT have a
lawn. I swore I would just pave it and make it into a big chess
board. But one of the joys of having to spend $21,000 (ugh) on a
septic system is that this one requires lawn, or something with a
simple root structure. Its output is a drip system that sits 6 inches
below the ground and is a series of pipes 12 inches apart all over the
property with water dripping out everytime a toilet is flushed. So I
need something to prevent runoff. We are going to do vines or
whatever the ground version is and I want to be able to at least walk
on the rest so it looks like grass..... Or 'grass man' to that other
poster