Old 03-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Fleemo

Default Holy Sprouting Onions, Batman!

I just noticed an 8" stem coming out of a neglected onion sitting atop
my fridge, which I'm inspired to plop in the garden. If I plant this
large yellow onion, which seems eager to become a plant, what will I
get out of it? Will it produce a cluster of onions like garlic? Grow
a solitary onion? I've never grown onions before, so I'm pretty
clueless here.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:22 PM
Sue

ROFLMAO Fleemo!

All you'll get if you plant the onion is a bunch of leaves with eventually a
flower stalk.

Sorry, no free onions.

Sue

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
om...

Old 04-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Fleemo

"Sue" wrote in message ...
ROFLMAO Fleemo!

All you'll get if you plant the onion is a bunch of leaves with eventually a
flower stalk.

Sorry, no free onions.

Sue

Ok, ok, I admit, I can be pretty dense. But how do you propagate
onions if not from the onion itself? I suppose you could use the
flower's seed, but don't you usually propogate things like onions and
garlic from the tuberous part of the plant?
Old 05-12-2003, 12:12 AM
Grandpa

Fleemo wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message ...

ROFLMAO Fleemo!

All you'll get if you plant the onion is a bunch of leaves with eventually a
flower stalk.

Sorry, no free onions.

Sue

Ok, ok, I admit, I can be pretty dense. But how do you propagate
onions if not from the onion itself? I suppose you could use the
flower's seed, but don't you usually propogate things like onions and
garlic from the tuberous part of the plant?

I don't know about other peoples onions but they've grown for me this
way. Plant the little sucker and see if it grows for you too. You're
not out a thing by trying.
Hmmm,maybe all those onion sets and onion seeds I see in the nursery
every year are 'virtual'?

Old 05-12-2003, 05:32 AM
Give 'em Hell Harry

"Sue" wrote in message
ROFLMAO Fleemo!

All you'll get if you plant the onion is a bunch of leaves with eventually

flower stalk.

Sorry, no free onions.

Sue

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
I just noticed an 8" stem coming out of a neglected onion sitting atop
my fridge, which I'm inspired to plop in the garden. If I plant this
large yellow onion, which seems eager to become a plant, what will I
get out of it? Will it produce a cluster of onions like garlic? Grow
a solitary onion? I've never grown onions before, so I'm pretty
clueless here.

That's essentially how I grow onions.

How do you do it?

Old 05-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Sue

HI Harry,

I start from seed in February, transplant the grassy sprouts in early may,
harvest onions in September.

I have tried "sets" as in the tiny bulbs but have better yield starting from
seed.

Fleemos comment that he had sprouting onions ontop of his fridge meant to
me that it was a full size onion, not a "set".

Sue

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
"Give 'em Hell Harry" wrote in message

"Sue" wrote in message
ROFLMAO Fleemo!

All you'll get if you plant the onion is a bunch of leaves with

eventually
flower stalk.

Sorry, no free onions.

Sue

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
om...

Old 05-12-2003, 05:33 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Sue"
writes:

I start from seed in February, transplant the grassy sprouts in early may,
harvest onions in September.

I have tried "sets" as in the tiny bulbs but have better yield starting from
seed.

Fleemos comment that he had sprouting onions ontop of his fridge meant to
me that it was a full size onion, not a "set".

Sue

Yes Sue that's right
There are 3 ways to grow onions:
seeds
plants
sets (immature bulbs)
I usually skip the seeds and buy bunches of the small plants
at the nursery in Feb. and have onions by sometime in June.

Walla Wallas Yum!

Fleemo go ahead and plant the sprouted mature onion.
You will get an interesting flower, or at the least, add some
OM to your soil.
Emilie
NorCal

Old 05-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Sue

Emilie,

I did buy the mail-order plants one year, and yes they came in February. In
western Maine, we had 5 feet of snow that February. Let me say that was one
expensive bunch of "scallions" LOLOL!

They would be wonderful for folks where the ground is plantable at that
time. I have to make my own onion plants, ready to plant as soon as I can
make a hole in the soil.

Onion sets tend not to make root growth quickly enough here in cold soil,
but my seed started plants, well hardened off on the back porch, will make a
go of it.

Sue

--
Breeze ( sue burnham)
"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , "Sue"

Old 06-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Fleemo

Fleemos comment that he had sprouting onions ontop of his fridge meant to
me that it was a full size onion, not a "set".

It is indeed a full size onion, and a large one at that. I was just
wondering whether this would yeild any additional onions, or what
exactly it would do if I planted it. If it's just going to grow a
flower stalk, perhaps it's not worth the trouble. Unless, of course,
I collect the seeds and propogate them that way. Any downside to
collecting seeds from a store-bought onion?

-Fleemo
Old 06-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Phrederick

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Fleemos comment that he had sprouting onions ontop of his fridge meant

me that it was a full size onion, not a "set".

It is indeed a full size onion, and a large one at that. I was just
wondering whether this would yeild any additional onions, or what
exactly it would do if I planted it. If it's just going to grow a
flower stalk, perhaps it's not worth the trouble. Unless, of course,
I collect the seeds and propogate them that way. Any downside to
collecting seeds from a store-bought onion?

Why not just stuff it in a pot and have another green thing growing inside?

Old 07-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Pen

I also find onions from the supermarket produces leaves and flower, no
sets. They're probably too tired from the long truck ride, sitting on
the grocer's shelves and finally being cooped up in my fridge.

I have better luck getting more onions from Egyptian Walking and
potato onions.