GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leucanthemum 'Becky' cutting back (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/48249-leucanthemum-becky-cutting-back.html)

Drew Hershkowitz 06-12-2003 07:42 PM

Leucanthemum 'Becky' cutting back

Thanks for the help here with my Rudbeckia, now a question about these
Leucanthemum 'Becky'. Do I trim them all the way down to the woody
base for winter? Im in zone 6 (NY).

Thanks in advance..

Drew H.

Tyra Trevellyn 07-12-2003 12:32 AM

Leucanthemum 'Becky' cutting back

From: (Drew Hershkowitz)
Date: Sat, Dec 6, 2003 2:32 PM
Thanks for the help here with my Rudbeckia, now a question about these
Leucanthemum 'Becky'. Do I trim them all the way down to the woody
base for winter? Im in zone 6 (NY).

Thanks in advance..

Drew H.

Hey Drew...
Shasta 'Becky' will come back from its roots and will increase significantly
every year, forming many new plants around the old ones. You can divide and
move them in the spring. It doesn't much matter what you do to the parts that
remain above ground at this point......they're over. If you leave about an
inch or so of the old stems, it'll make it easier to watch for new growth
around them in the spring. Some folks use a light mulch on Shastas for winter
protection.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7ish

Drew Hershkowitz 10-12-2003 02:32 AM

oway (Tyra Trevellyn) wrote in message
Hey Drew...
Shasta 'Becky' will come back from its roots and will increase significantly
every year, forming many new plants around the old ones. You can divide and
move them in the spring. It doesn't much matter what you do to the parts that
remain above ground at this point......they're over. If you leave about an
inch or so of the old stems, it'll make it easier to watch for new growth
around them in the spring. Some folks use a light mulch on Shastas for winter
protection.

Excellent, so I can trim them down to the base. I was concerned that
I would be impacting next year's growth..

DH