GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   xmas cactus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/48419-xmas-cactus.html)

Sammy' 10-12-2003 07:42 PM

xmas cactus

After my xmas cactus is done blooming this year I'm going to replant them.

They are kind of on the small side grown by me from a cutting. What kind of
soil is best for them. I read somewhere that they are not really a cactus
and I was about to purchase cactus soil which I think is on the sandy side
from Lowes. What soil is best for them?

Phisherman 11-12-2003 02:02 AM

xmas cactus

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:40:46 GMT, "Sammy'" wrote:

After my xmas cactus is done blooming this year I'm going to replant them.

They are kind of on the small side grown by me from a cutting. What kind of
soil is best for them. I read somewhere that they are not really a cactus
and I was about to purchase cactus soil which I think is on the sandy side
from Lowes. What soil is best for them?

Wait at least two months after blooming to repot it. It needs a time
to rest. And then, you should only repot it when you see roots
growing out the drainage hole. Use a regular potting soil (peat-moss
based) with a little sharp sand added. The Christmas cactus is a
"forest cactus" and likes frequent misting and high humidity. Some
Christmas cacti will bloom more than once in a season if given ideal
conditions. Be careful not to overwater (especially now) and drain
off the saucer after watering.