Old 11-12-2003, 09:32 AM
James Dawson

Default Rules for growing gardenias?

Hi,

Can someone please help me with what is required to grow gardenias
successfully.

It is the one plant I always have problems with. I assume I am doing
something fundamentally wrong.

thanks

-j

Old 11-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Frank Logullo

"James Dawson" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

Can someone please help me with what is required to grow gardenias
successfully.

It is the one plant I always have problems with. I assume I am doing
something fundamentally wrong.

I've got an old one as a house plant that is moved outside in summer. Main
problem I had was scale which was cured with a systemic. It gets spider
mites but they are kept down by misting. I keep it well watered, throw in a
handful of fertilizer occasionally and have done pruning and root pruning.
Frank

Old 11-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

"James Dawson" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

Can someone please help me with what is required to grow gardenias
successfully.

It is the one plant I always have problems with. I assume I am doing
something fundamentally wrong.

Both hardy and florist's gardenias appreciate the same sort of care. They
like an acidic soil that is well draining and rich with organic matter. If
grown outdoors, they like a lot of sun but some protection from midday sun
in very hot climates. They prefer even moisture (don't allow to dry out) and
regular fertilizing - they are heavy feeders. Indoors, keep in bright light
and mist daily to maintain humidity. That will help to reduce the frequency
of spider mites, aphids and white flies, which they are prone to. This link
should provide additional details:
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/gardenia.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 11-12-2003, 06:02 PM
David Ross

James Dawson wrote:
=

Can someone please help me with what is required to grow gardenias
successfully.
=

It is the one plant I always have problems with. I assume I am doing
something fundamentally wrong.

gardengal gave good advice. =

A gardenia can be hardy to 20=B0F in the winter but really needs
heat in the summer to bloom. While many agree that 'Mystery' is
the nicest looking bush with the best flowers, I was unable to get
that variety to thrive. I now have 'Veitchii', which is in bloom
right now (despite night temperatures in the 40s and upper 30s). =

This bush has been in my garden for many years but is still under
2 ft tall. =

-- =

David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Sunset Zone: 19 -- interior Santa Monica Mountains with some ocean
influence (USDA 10a)