Old 15-12-2003, 06:03 PM
r1

Default dormant spray questions? sulfur vs. copper etc

I've been getting conflicting advise dormant spray for peach, nectarine,
apricot etc. I was told that sulfur is bad for apricots but that copper is
OK for everything. My questions:

1. Other than for apricots, is sulfur better than copper? What's the
difference in using one vs. the other?

2. Why is the recommended mix more concentrated for sulfur (4 oz per gal)
than for copper (4-5 tbl. per gal.) ?

3. Some of the trees show little drops of sap on the trunk and some
branches. What the best remedy for this?

Old 15-12-2003, 06:12 PM
FarmerDill

The best dormant spray for pit fruits that I have encountered is oil emulsion
(dormant oil spray) Lime and sulphur combination dormant sprays is good for
certain conditions. Copper sprays are normally used only for control of fungus
like brown rot in fruits and are applied after fruit set. In any event, unless
you have a huge orchard and are comfortable mixing chemicals, buy a prepared
mix which sets the amount water to be used in dilution.

Drops of sap, especially on the trunk, may indicate borers which requires a
fairly strong pesticide applied when they become active ie about full bloom to
petal drop.
Old 15-12-2003, 09:42 PM
r1

"FarmerDill" wrote in message
The best dormant spray for pit fruits that I have encountered is oil

emulsion
(dormant oil spray) Lime and sulphur combination dormant sprays is good

for
certain conditions. Copper sprays are normally used only for control of

fungus
like brown rot in fruits and are applied after fruit set. In any event,

unless
you have a huge orchard and are comfortable mixing chemicals, buy a

prepared
mix which sets the amount water to be used in dilution.

Drops of sap, especially on the trunk, may indicate borers which requires

fairly strong pesticide applied when they become active ie about full

bloom to
petal drop.

Thanks, Dill.
I was trying to understand the difference in effect of using copper and
sulfur. The instructions on the containers say they are both good for peach
leaf curl, which is the main problem I have. I didn't say, but I always mix
in some Volk oil.

Old 16-12-2003, 05:04 PM
FarmerDill

Thanks, Dill.
I was trying to understand the difference in effect of using copper and
sulfur. The instructions on the containers say they are both good for peach
leaf curl, which is the main problem I have. I didn't say, but I always mix
in some Volk oil.

Never found either of them effective against Peach leaf curl which was
prevalent in the New River Valley. Have not encountered it since I moved to
Georgia. At that time I used a fungicide especially formulated for peach leaf
curl (Ferbam) . According to Virginai Tech Daconil will also work. If you are
organic Gardens alive claims that thier "Soap Shield Fungicide" will work. They
also claim that Bordeau Mixture will work but I have tried that one with VERY
poor results.

dill