Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike Warren

Default "Left wing kookiness"

"Volker Hetzer" writes:

(Before you start to argue: I happily eat meat but I'm willing to
reduce that if someone convince me that it really helps. Right now
it just means that the meat price goes down and someone else in my
city eats more meat.)

From a carbon-emission standpoint, eating less meat is good. For
example, the Canadian government claims not eating meat every other
day saves around a quarter ton of carbon-emissions annually; not sure
if that counts methane with its carbon-equivalence or not...

Cheers,

--
mike [at] mike [dash] warren.com
URL:http://www.mike-warren.com
Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:06:50 GMT, Jonathan Ball
wrote:

"Diet for a Small Planet" IS INDEED an expression of
leftist political thinking. So is "veganism". If
someone tells me he's "vegan", I know EVERYTHING about
his politics; there's nothing concealed.

My goodness -- a psychic! I am an omnivore (except for lima beans),
but I find there are many reasons behind vegetarian/vegan preferences
ranging widely among the religious, ethical, health, and economic. *I*
sure can't tell anyone's politics from their food preferences.
Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jonathan Ball

Mike Warren wrote:

"Volker Hetzer" writes:

(Before you start to argue: I happily eat meat but I'm willing to
reduce that if someone convince me that it really helps. Right now
it just means that the meat price goes down and someone else in my
city eats more meat.)

From a carbon-emission standpoint, eating less meat is good. For
example, the Canadian government claims not eating meat every other
day saves around a quarter ton of carbon-emissions annually; not sure
if that counts methane with its carbon-equivalence or not...

I'd love to see the support for that claim.

Anyway, it ignores the fact that not all meat is
produced the same way. For example, if you eat
"normal" grain-fattened beef, your contribution to
carbon emissions is going to be much greater than if
you eat grass-fed (only) beef, which is increasingly
available, or if you were to eat some game you hunted
yourself.

Another "anyway" point: the optimal amount of
pollution is not zero. You may wish to reduce the
pollution you cause, but you'll never push it to zero.

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jonathan Ball

wrote:

"Diet for a Small Planet" IS INDEED an expression of
leftist political thinking. So is "veganism". If
someone tells me he's "vegan", I know EVERYTHING about
his politics; there's nothing concealed.

My goodness -- a psychic!

No; an astute observer. No psychic ability is required.

I am an omnivore (except for lima beans),

Ooohh, you're missing out on a truly delicious and
nutritious and versatile food.

but I find there are many reasons behind vegetarian/vegan preferences
ranging widely among the religious, ethical, health, and economic. *I*
sure can't tell anyone's politics from their food preferences.

You could, if you'd study harder.

Lurking behind EVERY "vegan's" - not vegetarian's -
dietary choices is some kind of belief in animal
"rights". People may be vegetarian for a variety of
reasons, but people are "vegan" out of a belief in
leftist/collectivist dogma. Most don't even bother to
deny it; those who do can always quickly be shown to be
liars.

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Bob Brock

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:10:59 GMT, Jonathan Ball
wrote:

Bob Brock wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:51:16 GMT, Jonathan Ball
wrote:

Jonathan Ball wrote:

Bob Brock wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:11:43 GMT, Jonathan Ball
wrote:

Look: less is more.

Right is Wrong.
War is Peace.

It figures, in your pig-headedness and stupidity, that
you'd snip out and ignore what I wrote about concise
writing being better than wheezy, droning rants; you're
a droner yourself. Here, in case you want to have
another try at it, fat ****:

A quote I've seen attributed to Pascal, Montaigne
and Mark Twain - I'm sorry to be confusing you with
those two foreigners,

Gosh, you got me there. All this time, I thought Mark Twain was an
American.

Learn something new every day.

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jonathan Ball

wrote:

wrote:

Look: less is more.

Right is Wrong.
War is Peace.

It figures, in your pig-headedness and stupidity, that
you'd snip out and ignore what I wrote about concise
writing being better than wheezy, droning rants; you're
a droner yourself. Here, in case you want to have
another try at it, fat ****:

A quote I've seen attributed to Pascal, Montaigne
and Mark Twain - I'm sorry to be confusing you with
those two foreigners,

Gosh, you got me there. All this time, I thought Mark Twain was an
American.

You can't count, either, can you? You fat ****. Twain
was the third one listed.

In your pig-headedness and stupidity, you're still
missing the essential point: saying the same thing in
fewer words is a more powerful way of expressing yourself.

Learn something new every day.

No, you haven't learned anything new in a looooooong
time. Pig-headed fools seldom do.

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jeff McCann

"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ball" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

ink.net...
Rico X. Partay wrote:

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message

Diet for a Small Planet is hardly evidence
of anything other than left wing kookiness.
If you want to trust your life to something
that nutty then do so, otherwise have some
animal products in your diet.

When you use adjectives like "left wing" in a technical
discussion about nutrition you tend to show you have an adgenda
that has nothing to do with the merits of the argument, and you
thereby lower the credibility of anything useful you may have to
say.

To paraphrase Al Franken, arguing about whether a diet is
"left wing" or "right wing" is like arguing whether al-Qaeda uses
too much vinegar in its salad dressing. It may be true, but it's
completely beside the point.

Hope this helps.

It only helped to show that you aren't very astute, and
you're probably too contaminated by notions of
political correctness ever to learn.

"Diet for a Small Planet" IS INDEED an expression of
leftist political thinking. So is "veganism". If
someone tells me he's "vegan", I know EVERYTHING about
his politics; there's nothing concealed.

That's a pretty small platform from which to jump to such large
conclusions. However, it is sadly typical of far-right reactionaries,
Repuppetcans, and others of that ilk.

Sorry, maybe I'm living in the wrong country for this but all the

vegans
*I* know vote either right (CDU) or just very slightly left from the
center (SPD). None of them would even consider the PDS or any other
leftwing party.
For me your statement is a typical

I-don't-like-it-so-it-must-be-commy-stuff
generalisation.
As for "diet for a small planet", that's about defeating world hunger

by reducing
food chain related losses. Not much leftwing stuff there except maybe

that
hunger is bad. (Before you start to argue: I happily eat meat but I'm

willing
to reduce that if someone convince me that it really helps. Right now

it just
means that the meat price goes down and someone else in my city eats

more
meat.)

Nice try, Herr Hetzer, but apparently Mr. Ball already knows everything
he needs to know. What this actually means is that he is now fully
immune to any further learning, growth or insight. Having a meaningful
discussion with his type is not only unlikely, but also utterly
pointless. All of his beliefs and opinions are burnished with the light
of Truth Revealed, at least in his own mind, and the minds of his
fellow-travelers.

By the way, thank you for participating. I always enjoy reading your
comments.

Jeff

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jeff McCann

Default "Left wing kookiness" (was: Self-Sufficiency Acreage...?)

"Strider" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:19:51 -0800, "Rico X. Partay"
wrote:

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message

Diet for a Small Planet is hardly evidence
of anything other than left wing kookiness.
If you want to trust your life to something
that nutty then do so, otherwise have some
animal products in your diet.

When you use adjectives like "left wing" in a technical
discussion about nutrition you tend to show you have an adgenda
that has nothing to do with the merits of the argument, and you
thereby lower the credibility of anything useful you may have to
say.

To paraphrase Al Franken, arguing about whether a diet is
"left wing" or "right wing" is like arguing whether al-Qaeda uses
too much vinegar in its salad dressing. It may be true, but it's
completely beside the point.

Hope this helps.

The source of any information is relevant to the value of that
information. Any info from leftwing, tofu sucking, liberals is rife
with their philosophy, is based on fantasy, and is suspect from the
outset.

But even a stopped clock is correct twice every day. Also "[a]ny info
from leftwing, tofu sucking, liberals is rife with their philosophy, is
based on fantasy, and is suspect from the outset" reads awfully close to
"I am uncomfortable with anything that challenges my present
preconceptions and beliefs, so I prefer to argue more about the source
than the content."

Jeff

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Jeff McCann

"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ball" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

ink.net...
I looked it up, you know? Have a look at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...5666?v=glance.

Thanks for posting that. It helps to confirm that the
author, Frances Lappe, is a leftwing extremist.

So what exactly makes him that?

Can you imagine Kim Il Sung not eating meat
or what exactly makes someone leftwing and
extremist in your eyes?

[snip]

Mostly just disagreeing with any nonsense he spouts.

Jeff

Old 17-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Jonathan Ball

Rico X. Partay wrote:

[...]

It may appear so to you, but you are wrong. Empirical
observation bears it out: "veganism" is a marker, a
signal, for extreme leftwing sentiment.

Nice try, Herr Hetzer, but apparently Mr. Ball already knows everything
he needs to know.

When someone identifies himself as "vegan", he has
indeed told me all I need to know, in order to know his
overall political stance.

Old 17-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Jonathan Ball

wrote:

[...]

In other words, an infinitesimally small and, thus,
meaningless slice of time. It figures you'd make much
of a trite, hackneyed expression like that.

Old 17-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Jonathan Ball

Jeff McCann wrote:

"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ball" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

ink.net...

I looked it up, you know? Have a look at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...5666?v=glance.

Thanks for posting that. It helps to confirm that the
author, Frances Lappe, is a leftwing extremist.

So what exactly makes him that?

Can you imagine Kim Il Sung not eating meat
or what exactly makes someone leftwing and
extremist in your eyes?

[snip]

Mostly just disagreeing with any nonsense he spouts.

No, that's not it. It's a belief in anti-market,
anti-liberty collectivism that is approached from the
political left.

Old 17-12-2003, 10:02 PM
paghat

In article . net,
Jonathan Ball wrote:

Rico X. Partay wrote:

[...]

By this chap's comical worldview, two-thirds of the population of India
are lefties, including Narendra Modi, the far-right "saffronist" bigot &
leader of bigots in India, he's totally vegan, but maybe he's only
pretending to be such a bad rightwing ****** to make the right look bad.
And Mussalini's ulcer drove him to vegetarianism therefore he must've been
more of a progressive than a fascist. Hitler some believe was a vegan at
least until 1931, maybe he should've stayed one, no doubt it was when he
started up the meat again he went bad & needed the yummy aroma of cooked
people.

Leonardo de Vinci was a lefty whiz at designing war machinery.
Shakespeare who noticed that meat-eating lowered intelligence was
therefore a lefty. FBI serial killer profiler John Douglas, who identified
killing animals as one of the three key early warning-behaviors of a
psychopath, is a lefty. Whoremongering technocrat H. G. Wells was a lefty.
Both Immanuel Kant & Fredrich Nietzsche were lefties (what a flash!) cuz
neither would eat meat. Carmen Electra & Tippi Hedrin, great leaders among
lefties cuz of their diet. Dwight Yoakum, all his lefty country tunes
make me sick. Elvira Mistress of the Night & Chester on Gunsmoke, great
lefty philosophers first & foremost. Faggoty ol' Ninjinski, total lefty,
couldn't even pirhouette to the right. Plato, bigtime lefty promoting
utopiuan vegan politics. The Reverand Fred "Wonderful Day in the
Neighborhood" Rogers baiting strangers' children into his pad with toys as
he rips off his clothes at the door, complete lefty spaz. William Shatner,
I can tell you as a lefty vegetarian myself, what a great leader of lefty
thinking he is to have on my side! Not to mention Sy Sperling, what a good
lefty gent, fighting for the love-lives of all fellow outcast baldheaded
geeks of the world but only if they're lefties, he would NEVER staple a
rug on the shiny pate of a rightwinger. Michael Jackson, not so much a
buggerer of chimps & small boys as merely a misunderstood lefty. Weird Al
Yankovitch, all those silly songs have hidden messages for the Left to
take over the world.

When Bobcat Goldthwait screams a joke like "I'll have your daughter home
by midnight -- in pieces in a bag!" it's cuz as a vegan, this makes him
such a funny lefty. And when Bruce Springsteen sings of patriotism, well
maybe it is indeed because he's a big lefty, therefore no one ever went to
hear him sing but a bunch of working class lefties & dont-ask-don't-tell
soldierboys who likewise refuse to eat meat. Oh! Oh! And Carmen Miranda,
ever notice how her fruitbowl hat always leaned a little LEFT ... it's cuz
she was a vegan (or was that fruitarian). Johnny Cash too, all his songs
stink to high heaven because of his progressiveness & vegetarianism. And
Leonard Cohen, good lord, you may have thought his "giving me head at the
foot of the bed" was his chief obsession, but leaving his politics out of
his tunes is a TRICK to bait you into his leftwing buddhahood & living in
the back of a van, oh those sneaky lefties. But stranger still is Meatloaf
-- should change his name to Nutloaf since he's a vegan, surely so far
left he's about to fall off the planet, not that he ever makes his
opinions known one way or t'other.

If the greater point is that rightwingers hate the planet & want to kill &
eat everything & everyone, therefore only bleedingheart lefties won't
bludgeon cattle, well, I'm not yet willing to believe that, even if
percentage-wise such an argument could be made. I've just never noticed
being rightwing OR eating meat COMPLETELY annihilated the possibility of
decency. And wouldn't this also make fat boozy meat-eaters like Ted
Kennedy right wingers? Also definitely NOT vegetarians are Saddam Hussein,
Presidente Marcos & his ugly wife Imelda -- maybe they'd've been good
people if only they'd stopped eating meat.

I begin to see how an unreasoning sod could come to the conclusion that
veggies = lefties! Since the Alberts -- Einstein & Schweitzer -- deplored
meat-eating as much as did Hans Christian Anderson, Ben Franklin, Charles
Darwin, Frank Zappa, Ghandi & Sir Isaac Newton, THEREFORE only decently
progressive super-geniuses are vegetarians, & that leaves out everyone on
the right! But golly, rightwingers should get over such self-loathing.
Plenty of people who decided not to eat meat are totally down with the
rightwing agenda. Many a "right to lifer" DOES extend that to being
vegetarian & not shooting doctors.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 17-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Jonathan Ball

God DAMN it, you are such a windbag!

paghat wrote:

In article . net,
Jonathan Ball wrote:

Rico X. Partay wrote:

[...]

Nope. Indians are not generally "vegan". You don't
know your ass from your face.

[...]

You have next to no evidence that any of those people,
historical and contemporary, are "vegan". I suppose
quite a few of them were or are vegetarian, though;
there's a big difference.

Try to say what little you have to say in far fewer
words next time, windbag.

Old 17-12-2003, 10:32 PM
Bob Brock

wrote:

wrote:

Look: less is more.

Right is Wrong.
War is Peace.

It figures, in your pig-headedness and stupidity, that
you'd snip out and ignore what I wrote about concise
writing being better than wheezy, droning rants; you're
a droner yourself. Here, in case you want to have
another try at it, fat ****:

A quote I've seen attributed to Pascal, Montaigne
and Mark Twain - I'm sorry to be confusing you with
those two foreigners,

Gosh, you got me there. All this time, I thought Mark Twain was an
American.

You can't count, either, can you? You fat ****. Twain
was the third one listed.

In your pig-headedness and stupidity, you're still
missing the essential point: saying the same thing in
fewer words is a more powerful way of expressing yourself.

Grammar counts too. Look up comma usage and multiple subjects. Get
back to me. You simply can't communicate and I don't think being less
verbose is going to help you.

Learn something new every day.

No, you haven't learned anything new in a looooooong
time. Pig-headed fools seldom do.

Yawn....