Old 18-12-2003, 03:02 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Default Long Island - Bought live Alberta Spruce...

Hello, I'm In zone 5 I think - Long Island NY. I just picked up 2 live 5' tall
dwarf Alberta Spruce shrubs on closeout. (Already decorated for Christmas,
lights, bows, etc.) They're in only 5 gallon pots, which I think for the
height, 5' and the width at the base (30") is a little small. I'll have these
on my 2nd floor deck until the 1st week of Jan, then intend to heel them in at
the first possible opportunity.

I was wondering I'f I'm better off buying a couple of large tubs and some soil,
and just set them in those NOW, and leave them till spring. The tubs would be
punctured for drainage and hold at least 4 40 lb. bags of soil each. My fear is
the pots they were sold in just aren't large enough to hold and provide
adequate moisture, even with diligent watering.

TIA

Old 19-12-2003, 05:32 AM
D Kat

I'm by Stony Brook (SUNY) and have had 2 dwarf alberta spruce trees on my
patio - potted in maybe 5 - 10 gallon plastic planters for a couple of
years and they overwinter just fine. The planters measure about 12H"X18W"
(probably less). The trees are now about 3' tall. They started out as
little1 gallon plants that I rescued. I keep telling myself I'm going to
plant them but I have run out of garden place and they look so nice on the
patio. I did however buy them at a time that I might have transplanted them
to bigger pots then what they came in before over wintering but given that
I'm really hard on plants -. It takes me awhile after I do my impulse
buying before I can tend to them it is possible that I didn't.... This long
drawn out response is just to say that I know they can overwinter fine in
planters but that I can't say what size the planter should be for safety
sake.

Old 19-12-2003, 02:32 PM
HA HA Budys Here

From: "D Kat"

[...]

Thank you, DKat. I have friends over on Christian St. I'm glad the general
consensus seems to be - they'll winter fine.
Now that I'm "over" *my* impulse purchase... (Not really, as these were 59.99
at BJ's wholesale 2 weeks ago, I went there to purchase 2 the day before my
post and found them marked down to 1/2 off!) I realize I've had 4 1-gallon
Albertas in containers for a couple of years with no problems, and remember
that these are the container plant of choice flanking many a Manhattan hotel.
(So much for "full sun" LOL) But these 1-galloner's were transplanted into much
larger containers when I bought them. My fear here was that the pot that the
plants come in were too small for the root system. These Albertas are exactly
5'5'' tall, and rather "pointy" I've never purchased them this large, as
they're typically in the 60-70.00 range.

Thanks for your input.