Old 19-12-2003, 04:12 AM
Lynda LeCompte

Default Master gardener help?

posted that an agricultural organisation would send someone out, usually a
volunteer master gardener, to help with identification of plants. I thought
this was an excellent idea, but didn't think to ask how to go about this.

Now then, bearing in mind I'm from England and have no idea how things work
over here in Texas (but I'm learning ;-), can anyone give me some pointers
of who or where I should be approaching to go about this?

The alternative would be for me to take a whole bunch of pics and post them
on my website for y'all to look at. Meh, I might just do that anyway! But I
do think it would be great to have someone walk around my garden with me
and share their knowledge.
TIA.
--
Lynda
Old 19-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:10:19 GMT, Lynda LeCompte

posted that an agricultural organisation would send someone out, usually a
volunteer master gardener, to help with identification of plants. I thought
this was an excellent idea, but didn't think to ask how to go about this.

You might start looking he

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/mastergd/

Old 19-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Lynda LeCompte

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:25:30 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:10:19 GMT, Lynda LeCompte

someone posted that an agricultural organisation would send someone out,
usually a volunteer master gardener, to help with identification of
plants. I thought this was an excellent idea, but didn't think to ask
how to go about this.

You might start looking he

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/mastergd/

hehe - yes, thanks.
Spooky actually, as I found this site this morning before I took my son to
school and was going to post about it when I got back... but ya beat me to
it :-)

When I was first searching, I made the mistake of using 'agriculture'
instead of 'horticulture' in the search strings. Duh!
--
Lynda

Old 19-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

You may not get as much help from this source as you would like. Were I to
ask a MG to do this in my state (and this is where the MG program started),
I would be telling THEM what plants were what. If you have pretty basic
plantings - ie., your standard foundation plants, etc. - this may work.
Otherwise you may want someone in with a higher skill level.. Ask at a local
nursery if they can recommend a horticulturist to assist with this task. You
will have to pay for their time but at least you can count on what they are
telling you is accurate.

pam - gardengal

news

Old 19-12-2003, 03:32 PM
dennisb

If you aren't familiar with Neil Sperry you might want to check out his web
site http://www.neilsperry.com. He has a excellent magazine on Texas
gardening and has written several excellent books.

dennis

Old 19-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Lynda LeCompte

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:34:26 GMT, Pam - gardengal
wrote:

You may not get as much help from this source as you would like. Were I
ask a MG to do this in my state (and this is where the MG program
started),
I would be telling THEM what plants were what. If you have pretty basic
plantings - ie., your standard foundation plants, etc. - this may work.
Otherwise you may want someone in with a higher skill level.. Ask at a
local
nursery if they can recommend a horticulturist to assist with this task.
You
will have to pay for their time but at least you can count on what they
are
telling you is accurate.

Hmm - okay, thanks for the tip.
I just wrote to the Brazoria County MG people, explaining my case. I'll see
what happens. If they are willing to send someone out, I guess I could see
how much help I can glean from them and then if necessary take it a step
further with a local nursery if I need more advice. Really, any advice will
be beneficial. This is a far cry from my little English garden with,
amongst other things... roses, London's pride, several iceplants, a
glorious huge peony that I was so proud of, poppies, pansies, zillions of
marigolds... there was nothing tropical about that garden ;-)
--
Lynda
Old 19-12-2003, 03:42 PM
madgardener

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 04:10:19 GMT, Lynda LeCompte

posted that an agricultural organisation would send someone out, usually a
volunteer master gardener, to help with identification of plants. I thought
this was an excellent idea, but didn't think to ask how to go about this.

Over here in Tennessee what I advise the newly arrived to this region
(the ones from Florida who are used to zone 8 and 9 and are now facing
zone 7 with undertones of the former 6b zone and want "something to
bloom all year......'try silk plants' lol) but seriously, I would go
to the phone book and look in the blue pages. Those are the listings
for the government and such. Or yellow pages and look for University
of Texas (or closest one to where you are) and then for the
Agricultural department. The university's Master Gardening program is
thru the Agricultural department (mine was, I went to University of
Tennessee in Knoxville for my master gardening classes but since then,
they've expanded them to Walter State Community college closer to me,
just at different times). If you don't find the listing in the book,
you can just dial 1411 (I'd expect the first two or so information
calls are free thru the phone company) and ask for the number.

Here I have BellSouth and when I dial 1411 I get "if you need a number
and in English, push one, what listing? (most of them now are voice
activated) what city? what state? the number is *** *******, if you'd
like for us to connect to that number for an additional charge of bla
bla, push or say bla, again the number is..............."

Nine times out of ten, you'll get a very friendly and helpful phone
operator and they'll direct you to the proper number.

Now then, bearing in mind I'm from England and have no idea how things work
over here in Texas (but I'm learning ;-), can anyone give me some pointers
of who or where I should be approaching to go about this?

I think I did a thorough job on that one g

The alternative would be for me to take a whole bunch of pics and post them
on my website for y'all to look at. Meh, I might just do that anyway! But I
do think it would be great to have someone walk around my garden with me
and share their knowledge.

agreed. and send me some of yer pics! I'd love to see them. Get up
in the faces of the plants and such so I can see the buggers though
because although I'm getting good at this, I'm not nearly as good as
my friend in Nashville who can identify everything by it's
leaf.....I've nicknamed him the Garden Guru.........and he studied and
went to college and took Horticulture at UT (more study, gotta
study and read more, more knowledge....get more knowledge,,,,,,,)

I hope this helps more......everyone has given you good advice so far
but this is more hands on with where you're at. Let me know how it
goes.......
madgardener up on the snowy and wintery ridge, back in Fairy Holler,
overlooking a snow covered English Mountain (actually you can't SEE
English Mountain for the snow and clouds today) in Eastern Tennessee,
zone 7 (feels more like zone 5 today!) Sunset zone 36
TIA.

Old 19-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

You are asking for expert advice from "Master Gardeners"?

That must be the funniest thing I've read all year!!!

From what I've seen, they couldn't even identify their own hands in front of
their faces.

Why don't you have Jerry Baker mix you up a magic potion while you are
waiting?

Old 19-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Lynda LeCompte

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:40:41 GMT, David J Bockman
wrote:

I say post them, I love id'ing plants. )

Dave

Okay... you asked for it ;-)
In fact I was just about to don my cam and go do the deed after reading
madgardener's post - which I will respond to properly after some time
outdoors. It's a beautiful day... much can be accomplished. Where's my
gloves...
--
Lynda

Old 19-12-2003, 09:02 PM
gardenia

wrote:

I just wrote to the Brazoria County MG people, explaining my case.
I'll see what happens. If they are willing to send someone out, I
guess I could see how much help I can glean from them and then if
necessary take it a step further with a local nursery if I need more
advice. Really, any advice will be beneficial. This is a far cry from
my little English garden with, amongst other things... roses,
London's pride, several iceplants, a glorious huge peony that I was
so proud of, poppies, pansies, zillions of marigolds... there was
nothing tropical about that garden ;-)

http://brazoria-tx.tamu.edu/

If you don't find the help you need there, take a short road trip down to
seabrook and visit Maas Nursery.

Old 19-12-2003, 09:11 PM
gardenia

wrote:

I just wrote to the Brazoria County MG people, explaining my case.
I'll see what happens. If they are willing to send someone out, I
guess I could see how much help I can glean from them and then if
necessary take it a step further with a local nursery if I need more
advice. Really, any advice will be beneficial. This is a far cry from
my little English garden with, amongst other things... roses,
London's pride, several iceplants, a glorious huge peony that I was
so proud of, poppies, pansies, zillions of marigolds... there was
nothing tropical about that garden ;-)

http://brazoria-tx.tamu.edu/

If you don't find the help you need there, take a short road trip
down to Seabrook and visit Maas Nursery.

http://www.maasnursery.com/

Hit the wrong key combinations and my post went before I wanted it to.
Whereabouts do you live in Brazoria county? Believe it or not, there's a
huge difference between the northern section of the county (Pearland) and
the southern end of the county (Freeport) because of the water.

pat, your neighbor down in galveston..

Old 20-12-2003, 03:32 AM
madgardener

thank you Lynda. And when some people poke fun of the others here, it's
just best to pat them on the head and ignore them. You'll find that Cereoid
is quite knowledgable despite his sharp tongue. And has a mean dry wit
about him too! g
madgardener turning on the ceramic heater in the nook as the windchill
factor is beginning to affect the warmth of the room thru the walls brrrrr