GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   You can tell it's winter when.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/49086-you-can-tell-its-winter-when.html)

Joe 24-12-2003 03:32 AM

You can tell it's winter when....

........people argue about nothing.

Please get onto the gardening topics.

Joe
Ontario

animaux 24-12-2003 02:16 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

Yeah, we have this every year. It's so much less argumentative than it has been
in the past. This has become a great newsgroup over the years. Many of us have
been here for almost a decade. Join in the arguing. I don't think anyone here
has fought dirty in some time.

Victoria

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:21:10 -0500, Joe opined:

Shell 24-12-2003 07:32 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

Tis the season to be cranky?
Must have been out in the traffic around the stores :)
Shell

paghat 24-12-2003 09:03 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

"Joe" wrote in message
.......people argue about nothing.

Please get onto the gardening topics.

Joe
Ontario

Important Gardening topics:

If those *******s Al Quaida crash an airplane into my house, the gardens
will be completely spoiled.

If my sweety & I get dragged off to jail by Home Security & denied access
to attorneys for months or years because of not approving of war or for
checking the wrong book out of the library, who'll water our gardens?

Was Grampa Hussein growing any mushrooms in his spider hole?

The same bonemeal & rendering plant waste-products that cause Mad Cow
Disease when illegally fed to cattle is LEGALLY sold as a component of
fertilizer to spread on the veggy patch. Theoretically even vegetarians
are thereby as susceptible to this unholy contagion as are MacDonalds'
regulars.

If I flick a snot-ball into the garden, what's its nutrient value to the
huckleberries?

In downtown Paso Robles, did the earthquake & collapsing buildings harm
any trees?

If you get buried under rubble from an Al-quaida airplane crash or a
California earthquake, or under snow in a big snowslide, & your next door
neighbor's well-trained rescue dog saves your life, will you still want to
put a chocolate pie out in the yard to poison the dog for shitting on your
lawn?

How many gardens got trampled over during this morning's Gaza raid??

Do the war dead make good compost?

-----

Happy hollar-days y'all!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Shell 24-12-2003 09:32 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

You forgot the effect of Afghanistan poppy fields on the economy :)

Shell

omi 25-12-2003 12:03 AM

You can tell it's winter when....

Irrigation water is cold and water from the cold water tap is cool (in
Phoenix)

Mark Anderson 25-12-2003 04:02 AM

You can tell it's winter when....

In article says...
You forgot the effect of Afghanistan poppy fields on the economy :)

I would love to be able to grow some of those poppies just for the
flowers. The poppies we get here are wimps in comparison.

BTW: Does anyone know where I can get a California poppy seed mixture?
The one site I was going to buy from doesn't carry them anymore.

canuckistani 25-12-2003 05:32 AM

You can tell it's winter when....

"Joe" wrote in message
.......people argue about nothing.
Please get onto the gardening topics.

Joe
Ontario

OK....Joe in Ontario, here goes...

1: This is Dec 24 thus the Japanese cherry blossoms are out along Blanchard
and Hillside in Victoria BC....
2: Dropped by my garden to grab some lettuce and a few onions today....
3: It rained. This means winter. Awful, really!
4: Stupid lawns are still growing, about an inch per month and that's
without any form of fertilizer.

That better?
guffaw
John in Victoria BC Canuckistan
zone 8b

NAearthMOM 25-12-2003 03:32 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

ears. Many of us have
been here for almost a decade.

Yes it's been great here.
3 years lurking, 5 years posting. Some of my fave friends are from here. Bev,
you (V), madgard, dolores, carlotta, I miss a lot of folks, I wonder about
theresa mesa, alan, etc.

Love me
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Shell 25-12-2003 05:02 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

So do I, I love huge red poppies :)

Don't know where to get a California poppy mix, sorry

Shell

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
In article says...

animaux 26-12-2003 02:32 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

On 25 Dec 2003 15:14:14 GMT, arden (NAearthMOM) opined:

ears. Many of us have
been here for almost a decade.

Yes it's been great here.
3 years lurking, 5 years posting. Some of my fave friends are from here. Bev,
you (V), madgard, dolores, carlotta, I miss a lot of folks, I wonder about
theresa mesa, alan, etc.

Love me
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Yeah, Theresa. She was from New Mexico, wasn't she? She had some touch
emotional scrapes. I wonder too what ever happened to her. Which Alan?

NAearthMOM 26-12-2003 11:02 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

Which Alan?

The man who lost his wife...............

Weider or something like that??

Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

[email protected] 27-12-2003 05:02 AM

You can tell it's winter when....

On 26 Dec 2003 23:00:04 GMT, arden (NAearthMOM)
wrote:

Which Alan?

The man who lost his wife...............

Weider or something like that??

Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Caryn, that was (is) Alan "Hawk" Widner. Last post to rec.gardens was
in January 2001 when he left the newsgroup. He has been (and still is)
active on other groups. A search for "Hawk Widner" as author on the
Advanced Google newsgroup search archive gives the information. I
remember him well!

best wishes
Geoff (who's been around a long time here as well)!!

gregpresley 27-12-2003 08:12 AM

You can tell it's winter when....

Another poster who has disappeared in the past year is Iris Cohen.
(her profile line was some Talmudic line about a city without trees was
cursed, or a city with trees was blessed - something like that).

animaux 27-12-2003 03:33 PM

You can tell it's winter when....

On 26 Dec 2003 23:00:04 GMT, arden (NAearthMOM) opined:

Which Alan?

The man who lost his wife...............

Weider or something like that??

Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Oh, yes. I wonder about him, too. He was an artist? I seem to remember he did
computer generated art of some sort. He just disappeared.