GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Who were "Emily Mckenzie" & "Jean Marie de Montague"? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/49476-who-were-emily-mckenzie-jean-marie-de-montague.html)

paghat 31-12-2003 09:07 PM

Who were "Emily Mckenzie" & "Jean Marie de Montague"?

Does anyone know who was "Emily Mckenzie" for whom a popular crocosmia
cultivar is named after?

Does anyone know who was "The Honorable Jean Marie de Montague" for whom a
bright red ironclad Rhododendron is named?

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

paghat 02-01-2004 09:32 PM

Who were "Emily Mckenzie" & "Jean Marie de Montague"?

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

Does anyone know who was "Emily Mckenzie" for whom a popular crocosmia
cultivar is named after?

Does anyone know who was "The Honorable Jean Marie de Montague" for whom a
bright red ironclad Rhododendron is named?

Looks like nobody else knows either. Bummer, I wanted to find out.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Bill Spohn 03-01-2004 04:33 AM

Who were "Emily Mckenzie" & "Jean Marie de Montague"?

Does anyone know who was "The Honorable Jean Marie de Montague" for whom a
bright red ironclad Rhododendron is named?

1921, C.B. Van Nes & Sons, but no indication of who it was named after.

That sort of biographical info is sometimes hard to find. Perhaps someone like
Clive Justice may know - I'll try to remember to ask him.

Cheryl Isaak 03-01-2004 02:32 PM

Who were "Emily Mckenzie" & "Jean Marie de Montague"?

On 1/2/04 4:27 PM, in article ,
"paghat" wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

Does anyone know who was "Emily Mckenzie" for whom a popular crocosmia
cultivar is named after?

Does anyone know who was "The Honorable Jean Marie de Montague" for whom a
bright red ironclad Rhododendron is named?

Looks like nobody else knows either. Bummer, I wanted to find out.

-paggers

There is a "Who's Who" of plant names; I remember reading a review of it in
the last year. The most likely place I saw it was American Gardener from
American Horticulture. Try their website for a list of past reviews.

Cheryl