Old 31-12-2003, 11:32 PM
daecc

Default Fast Growing Tall Hedge?

I am looking for something that would make a 20' to 35' tall privacy
screen. Agressive rooting would be a plus as I'm planting along the
top edge of a large hill. Also, medium to wide span would be a plus.
And of course, I want it fast. "Weed" trees and shrubs are fine with
me.

My main concern is height and speed. I'm willing to sacrifice a
little height to gain faster growth. The Washington Hawthorn sounds
nice, but isn't as fast as I want. Hybrid Willows grow too tall.
Olives aren't quite tall enough, but would suffice if they met my
other criteria. The Siberian Elm is a little taller than I'm looking
for (around 45'), but could work since it can be trimmed.

I am basing this on reading catalogs/advertisements. However, I'm
looking for practical experience now. I live in SE Ohio (Zone 6).

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2004, 12:02 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Leyland Cypress.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:02 AM
David J Bockman

Would ultimately grow 80' to 100', hardly within his range. I would also be
concerned with their hardiness in that sort of location-- they are just
hardy to Zone 6.

Have a look at Thuja plicata 'Green Giant' for a fast growing, attractive
evergreen screen. Anoter choice is Photinia x fraseri, red-tipped photinia.

Of the deciduous trees, a fast growing choice might be Morus alba, aka
Mulberry. NOTE: this is truly a trash tree, but grows extremely fast and
would be dirt cheap to plant.

Dave

Leyland Cypress.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Mogie

Mountain Laurel

Old 01-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Phisherman

I planted an 80 foot row of Rose of Sharon 5 years ago. They are now
10 feet tall. They give a lot of privacy in the summer, flower in
late summer, but drop their leaves in the winter. They don't mind
trimming, in fact, they get thicker with trimming. It seems to be a
favorite of aphids and attacts ladybugs, humming birds, bees, and
butterflies. They grow well in Ohio to Georgia. Faster growth with
regularly applied fertilizers--I use cow manure, fish emulsion and
Miracle Grow with compost as mulch. They like full sun but grow okay
in part sun. I have some that are 10 years old and over 25 feet tall.
Easy to grow and inexpensive.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:32 AM
JNJ

Lonicera Maackii -- a form of honeysuckle. Gets to about 15' or so, decent
spread, and considered a noxious weed in some states. Has nice flowers and
berries in the late autumn. It is deciduous however so if you need
evergreen that won't work (then again, if you need evergreen and fast
growing you're looking at an oxymoron).

James

Old 01-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Mogie" wrote in message
Mountain Laurel

Kalmias are neither fast growing nor will they ever be tall enough outside
of their native environment. Photinias will not be winter hardy. It is
unlikely Leylands would live long enough to attain their full mature height
( and VERY few ever get as big as 80-100'), but they certainly are fast
enough and provide excellent screening potential. And can be sheared to
remain at desired height. Thuja 'Green Giant' certainly offers the ideal
solution - very hardy in your zone, fast growth rate (2-5' per year),
evergreen and should be widely available.

pam - gardengal

Old 01-01-2004, 07:03 PM
J Kolenovsky

A specimen that would make a 20' - 35' screen more than likely would
have be be purchsed nearly mature if you wanted it asap. Depending of
how fast is fast may also depend on what you select.
(purchase a 10' specimen that grows 2' a year or similar, if 5 years is
fast?)

Perhaps spemimens along the lines of spruce, fir, balsam,{ Cedars },
cypress, hemlock?

daecc wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 02-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Mogie

Depends on your area. Here mountain laurel grow fast and tall. Privets also
do fine in the winter.
Photentia make a good everygreen fast growing hedge also.

Old 02-01-2004, 06:04 AM
daecc

I appreciate all the quick responses! You're giving me a lot to
consider.

When I say I want it fast, 15' 5 years from now is acceptable.
Something that grows 3+ feet per year would be great. I'm planting a
200' row, so anything taller than 3-4' at planting will *probably* be
too expensive.

I LOVE evergreens, but many are too slow for this project. I have
about 20 6-10' Hemlock (my favorite) but they are growing about 1-1.5'
per year.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
I note photinia to be hardy to Zone 6...

I think that is a little generous, David. Most references indicate zone 7
hardiness - some even clarify it to zone 7b or 8. Temperature-wise, it is
typically rated to 10F, which would put it in zone 7. I am just concerned
that a plant that has considerable problems in the best of situations will
really suffer if sited in an area of marginal hardiness.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Mike Gilmore

I am in a windy exposed location. During the last four years I have planted
a variety of windbreak plants including bamboo. Very much depends upon
location.
I have a line of Pinus radiata and Leyland cypress and the pine wins hands
down on all counts. If your area is mild and not too many gales and you
don't mind a deciduous plant in winter, I have found Salix basfordiana grow
in my garden from 3'hi x 2'wide to the top of a nearby telegraph pole and
15'wide in four years! (It was planted to hide the 30' pole). Also, if
your climate can take Hoherias then the following are worthy of
investigation H lyallii and H. sexstylosa. Both trees do not pause after
planting but reach for the sky straight away with 3-4' vertical growth each
year. Can be somewhat short-lived (50 yrs) but they do have lovely white
blooms in early summer.

--
Regards
Mike Gilmore

Old 02-01-2004, 11:42 PM
JNJ

When I say I want it fast, 15' 5 years from now is acceptable.
Something that grows 3+ feet per year would be great. I'm planting a
200' row, so anything taller than 3-4' at planting will *probably* be
too expensive.

I LOVE evergreens, but many are too slow for this project. I have
about 20 6-10' Hemlock (my favorite) but they are growing about 1-1.5'
per year.

We have a honeysuckle variety here that I trimmed to the ground -- it was 8
feet tall by the end of the season.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Penny Morgan

Don't know if you've gotten other responses yet, but I just saw your post
about screening with trees. One of my favorite trees to use is Cryptomeria
Japonica 'Yoshino'. It's a beautiful, fast growing evergreen with great
texture and color. It is hardy in zones 6-8 and doesn't have disease or
pest problems. I just also planted Cupressus 'arizonica' or Carolina
Sapphire trees that are very fast growing between my driveway and our
neighbors lawn. They are a blue/grey color with reddish tinges in the
winter months. Many people plant Leyland Cypress trees because they are
cheap and very fast growing. They are also a very pretty green color. The
only drawback is that Bagworms like them and will sometimes destroy the
tree. Once they invade, it's very difficult to eradicate all of them.

Try looking on google for the Cryptomeria and Cupressus and you'll see what
I'm talking about.

Good luck,

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"daecc" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for something that would make a 20' to 35' tall privacy
screen. Agressive rooting would be a plus as I'm planting along the
top edge of a large hill. Also, medium to wide span would be a plus.
And of course, I want it fast. "Weed" trees and shrubs are fine with
me.

My main concern is height and speed. I'm willing to sacrifice a
little height to gain faster growth. The Washington Hawthorn sounds
nice, but isn't as fast as I want. Hybrid Willows grow too tall.
Olives aren't quite tall enough, but would suffice if they met my
other criteria. The Siberian Elm is a little taller than I'm looking
for (around 45'), but could work since it can be trimmed.

I am basing this on reading catalogs/advertisements. However, I'm
looking for practical experience now. I live in SE Ohio (Zone 6).

Thanks!

[IMG] code is On

Absolute fastest Growing hedge plant for tall privacy screen???? joe Gardening 8 01-03-2006 06:22 PM
fast growing hedge HPBudlong Gardening 5 14-06-2004 12:03 AM
Tall fast growing plants / seeds John United Kingdom 3 24-04-2004 05:05 PM
Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within Richard United Kingdom 14 07-02-2003 12:13 PM
Fast-growing but attractive hedge required, apply within sacha United Kingdom 4 06-02-2003 10:28 PM