Old 02-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Josh Kalish

Default Best way to get grass the shade in Atlanta now

Hi,

I have a home in Atlanta. The lawn pretty much torn up because of the work
that has been ongoing on the property. Most of the lawn is just plain soil
now. The lawn gets little direct sunlight, maybe a few hours a day. I am
pretty bad at maintaining a lawn. I'm frequently out of town, so the lawn
should be pretty resillient. I've heard three recomendations from sod
placed and from this group:

St. Augstine: Good in the shade, but won't handle the winter. I may not be
able to instal it now.

Fescue: Good in the shade, but very delicate. Someone who is frequently away
may not be able to keep it alive, especially in the summer.

Zoysia: Good year-round and OK for the shade, but may not be able to install
it now.

Are there any other options? I really would like to put something down but
I can't figure out what to do.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

This may not be a grass for you but it sounds so interesting I thought
I'd make you aware of it.
Seashore paspalum.
http://www.sptimes.com/News/072301/T..._turn_ou.shtml

Josh Kalish wrote:
=

Hi,
=

[...]

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Hal

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 18:43:18 GMT, "Josh Kalish"
wrote:

I have a home in Atlanta. The lawn pretty much torn up because of the work
that has been ongoing on the property. Most of the lawn is just plain soil
now. The lawn gets little direct sunlight, maybe a few hours a day. I am
pretty bad at maintaining a lawn. I'm frequently out of town, so the lawn
should be pretty resillient. I've heard three recomendations from sod
placed and from this group:

http://www.ces.uga.edu/ Is a good place to ask about the type grass
for your lawn, but the biggest reason for a poor lawn is lack of
adequate water. Take the time and put in a good lawn watering
system.

Regards,

Hal