Old 15-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Heidi

Default white residue on grass....and no, its not snow

Hi all,

Here is NC the snow has melted, though there is still a chill in the
air. While outside in the yard, I noticed a milky white substance on
many blades of grass. It almost looks like someone took a paint brush
with white paint and flicked the brush so that the paint spattered over
the grass blades.

Any idea what this is and how I should treat it?

Thanks!
Heidi

Old 16-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Thalocean2

Hi all,

Here is NC the snow has melted, though there is still a chill in the
air. While outside in the yard, I noticed a milky white substance on
many blades of grass. It almost looks like someone took a paint brush
with white paint and flicked the brush so that the paint spattered over
the grass blades.

Any idea what this is and how I should treat it?

Thanks!
Heidi

Was there snow piled on your grass from the street? Could it be salt or
mag-chloride? Try just rinsing it off and if that doesn't work look into the
possibility that it's a fungus.

Good luck,
Laura B.
Old 16-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Beecrofter

Heidi wrote in message . rr.com...
Hi all,

Here is NC the snow has melted, though there is still a chill in the
air. While outside in the yard, I noticed a milky white substance on
many blades of grass. It almost looks like someone took a paint brush
with white paint and flicked the brush so that the paint spattered over
the grass blades.

Any idea what this is and how I should treat it?

Thanks!
Heidi

It is called snow mold and it is a fungus that grows quite happily
under the snow, nothing to be done for it.
Old 18-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Sed5555

Here is NC the snow has melted, though there is still a chill in the
air. While outside in the yard, I noticed a milky white substance on
many blades of grass. It almost looks like someone took a paint brush
with white paint and flicked the brush so that the paint spattered over
the grass blades.

Any idea what this is and how I should treat it?

Not likely powdery mildew this time of year, but more likely snow mold. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/snowmold.htm
sed5555