Old 24-01-2004, 08:32 PM
+-

Default North America After the Collapse

Alan Connor wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:27:03 -0600, charles krin wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:32:04 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" wrote:

RE/
At 800 ppm, for instance, the symptoms will start in
45 minutes and you'll be dead after 3 hours. At 1600
pps it starts in 20 minutes and you're dead 40 minutes
after that. At 6400 the pain starts in 2 minutes and
you fall down go boom die in 10-15.

This is why I've got CO monitors - plural - in my
house. This stuff is NOTHING to fool around with.

And, according to what I've heard, a nasty little add-on is that one's
hemogloben has a greater affinity for CO than it does for O2. Net
result is that once the stuff's bonded to enough hemogloben even if you
get out to fresh air or somebody drags you out you're still going to die
because the O2 from the fresh air can't get to the hemogloben.

chuckle...while CO attaches to hemoglobin roughly 300 times as
strongly as O2 does, it has a half life in the body of about 15-18
hours...so as long as you are still breathing when the medics get to
you, high percentage oxygen therapy has a good chance of working. Some
folks claim that hyperbaric oxygen cuts the treatment time by half,
but most of the recoverable cases manage without hyperbarics.

Hydrogen sulfide (H2S), the so called 'rotten egg gas', is
substantially more toxic, almost as toxic as Hydrogen Cyanide
(HCN)...and despite the strong smell initially, then nose rapidly
adapts, and there is no further warning...

Didn't know that about H2S. Never used it.

(Never will, now.)

A *very* effective 'stink bomb' is a mild butyric acid solution.

Smells like vomit (which is why it is know as "stench") and being a
mild organic acid, bonds to just about anything.

You can render clothes and packs un-wearable, and tents and buildings
and vehicles un-usable, for very long periods, if not forever.

A guerilla team in the bush that ran afoul of stench booby-trap would be
in serious trouble.

They could be smelled for a long ways and would upset the wildlife
all around them and be incredibly miserable, IF they could even bear
to wear their clothes and packs. I don't think they could. That stuff
is upchuck city. I think they'd have to return to get re-supplied, and
would be lucky to make it if they were very far into enemy territory.

There's something very primal about scents. It's the only sense we have
that is connected directly to the brain.

AC

or you made that all up, idiot.
--
+-; the point where things begin and end, where the end is start and start
comes to it's final end.....
Old 24-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Michelle

wrote:

[...]

ck

Yeah That is so true My husband is an operator in a refinery in DE.
I wory about his company calling me every day to tell me he is blown
up or fallen in to an open acid tank or he's been exposed to H2S
Hydrogen sulfide gas and it does smell like rotton eggs. and he was
working during several of these gass leaks.
scarey stuff no joking at all
Michelle

"love is the water ine the garden of life "
Old 24-01-2004, 09:42 PM
Michelle

Oh thanks bob the sailor now I'm really reassured about my husbands
job ... I'm now checking the want ads
Michelle

wrote:

Hydrogen sulfide (H2S), the so called 'rotten egg gas', is
substantially more toxic, almost as toxic as Hydrogen Cyanide
(HCN)...and despite the strong smell initially, then nose rapidly
adapts, and there is no further warning...

ck

Most folks don't ever get involved in the situations where one is
likely to encounter significant levels of hydrogen sulfide.

One place, of several, where one may routinely encounter it is in
ship's holds. And I'm an old retired sailor, so learned about the
stuff.

Real sneaky stuff, besides being dangerous. One can detect the odor
at about .03 ppm with the human nose.

At about 10 ppm of hydrogen sulfide your nose loses it's sense of
smell in as little as 3 minutes. So one might think it was just a
little passing gust of the gas and it's now gone. But that may not be
true.

At about 30 ppm, the human nose loses it's sense of smell almost
immediately. Yah just detect the odor, then it's gone. Because now
yah can't smell anything.

Guy in the previous post mentioned 800 ppm of CO as being hazardous if
you're exposed to it long enough.

With hydrogen sulfide, at 800 ppm, you're going nowhere. Not
escaping. You hit the deck abruptly and promptly. Immediate
unconciousness.

Bob

***Who once had the unpleasant chore of assisting in the recovery of 3
bodies done in my hydrogen sulfide.

Old 24-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Michelle

There's something very primal about scents. It's the only sense we have
that is connected directly to the brain.

AC

In fact there is Did you ever hear the saying smells so good I can
taste it ?
That's because you can taste it mildly and your nose is directly
connected to your brain with no stop gaps in between
in fact smell and taste are so connected if you hold your nose taste
is diminished .

Old 25-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Bob G

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:30:46 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:41:28 -0600, charles krin
wrote:

With hydrogen sulfide, at 800 ppm, you're going nowhere. Not
escaping. You hit the deck abruptly and promptly. Immediate
unconciousness.

yep...and within 4 minutes or less of becoming unconscious, you are
dead...

Bob

***Who once had the unpleasant chore of assisting in the recovery of 3
bodies done in my hydrogen sulfide.

which is the reason for body harnesses and life lines...as well as
SCBA...among other things, I believe that H2S is one of the nasties
that eat many protective mask filters up quickly...

ck

There is LOTS of H2S here in the oil fields. Pumpers (oil lease
caretakers) are issued electronic H2S detectors and those who
occasionally work in those areas are issued a litmus paper sort of
thingy that has a roll of the test paper inside and a small open
window. If it changes color..bail. At the end of the shift, one
simply pulls out a half inch of paper, exposing a new section.

Some nasty shit. Ive had my snozz go dead in it, simply driving
through a low spot on my way to my hunting shooting grounds.

It of course is a by product of some oil wells, in this particular oil
area there are various formations rich in H2S.

Gunner

Yep, absolutely.

Bob