Old 18-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Phisherman

Default Lucky bamboo stopped growing

I purchased 6" stick of lucky bamboo stick last summer. It had a
1/2" sprout coming out of the top side. Per instructions, I have been
changing the water (using rain water) every two weeks and keeping it
in bright light, no sun. I have it growing in a glass jar, half filled
with gravel with temperatures around 65-70. The top quickly grew new
green leaves, but now it has stopped growing. I went back to the
dealer, and he said "they behave that way." I asked if potting it in
soil would help make it grow, and he said that it would die if I did
that because it needs constant moisture. Anyone know how to grow a
large lucky bamboo? And, how do some grow in spiral shapes?
Old 18-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally posted by Phisherman
I purchased 6" stick of lucky bamboo stick last summer. It had a
1/2" sprout coming out of the top side. Per instructions, I have been
changing the water (using rain water) every two weeks and keeping it
in bright light, no sun. I have it growing in a glass jar, half filled
with gravel with temperatures around 65-70. The top quickly grew new
green leaves, but now it has stopped growing. I went back to the
dealer, and he said "they behave that way." I asked if potting it in
soil would help make it grow, and he said that it would die if I did
that because it needs constant moisture. Anyone know how to grow a
large lucky bamboo? And, how do some grow in spiral shapes?
I have three lucky bamboos which have grown huge (1-2' )per year, through the method of just watering them once in a while like everything else! I think that changing out the water is disruptive to the root system, and removes nutrients unnecessarily. Try just leaving it alone--and wet. The curly ones, by the way, are trained that way from tiny shoot stage. Hope this helps...
Kathie
__________________
Kat ~=^..^=~
Old 18-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Phisherman

Hi Kathie,
Do you grow your Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) in pebbles, plain
water, or soil? I have other Dracaenas, but each has different care.
I guess changing the water out is recommended to keep the water from
getting sour, but the water change does disrupt the roots a little a
little. I used Shultz (7 drops per qt) but at 1/4 the strength for
two months but there was no noticeable change in growth. If I move
the plant 2 feet, it will get brief morning sun, but the dealer told
me "no sun." I find it hard to believe that it would die if planted
in potting soil. Does anyone have Dracaena sanderiana growing well in
a (sandy) potting mix? Under fluorescent lights?

Old 19-01-2004, 04:13 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

That is a sure omen of impending doom!!!

Your demise is eminent!!

That's no great loss since you are just some nobody from nowhere.

What do you care how they spiral?
You won't be around long enough to try it yourself!!

Be sure to stay away from severe weather, crowds, airports and men with
hats!!

Old 19-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Charles

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:04:25 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

That is a sure omen of impending doom!!!

Your demise is eminent!!

That's no great loss since you are just some nobody from nowhere.

What do you care how they spiral?
You won't be around long enough to try it yourself!!

Be sure to stay away from severe weather, crowds, airports and men with
hats!!

Maybe imminent as well
--

- Charles
-

Old 19-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

Be sure to stay away from severe weather, crowds, airports and men with
hats!!

On a field site assignment, we were lectured by an AF official on
Norwegian driving rules (they're *very* strict about DUI). He also
warned us to beware of drivers wearing hats, who tended to be older
and baffled by new traffic circles.They sort of tended to stop and
consider the prospects before moving on. "beware of those in hats" is
sound advice. :-)

Old 19-01-2004, 11:20 PM
Salty Thumb

Phisherman wrote in
:

I purchased 6" stick of lucky bamboo stick last summer. It had a
1/2" sprout coming out of the top side. Per instructions, I have been
changing the water (using rain water) every two weeks and keeping it
in bright light, no sun. I have it growing in a glass jar, half filled
with gravel with temperatures around 65-70. The top quickly grew new
green leaves, but now it has stopped growing. I went back to the
dealer, and he said "they behave that way." I asked if potting it in
soil would help make it grow, and he said that it would die if I did
that because it needs constant moisture. Anyone know how to grow a
large lucky bamboo? And, how do some grow in spiral shapes?

Maybe some of the meaner neighborhood bamboos came by and told it that it
wasn't a real bamboo and now it's sad. In this case the proper treatment
is to read it a fairy tale until it gets better. May I suggest the "Ugly
Duckling"?

sorry, no, I do not have any useful to say
Old 20-01-2004, 04:42 AM
B & J

wrote:

Be sure to stay away from severe weather, crowds, airports and men with
hats!!

On a field site assignment, we were lectured by an AF official on
Norwegian driving rules (they're *very* strict about DUI). He also
warned us to beware of drivers wearing hats, who tended to be older
and baffled by new traffic circles.They sort of tended to stop and
consider the prospects before moving on. "beware of those in hats" is
sound advice. :-)

Hmmmm... That sounds a bit like the advice, "Beware of the woman who lives
on the hill, for she is not on the level!" G

John

Old 20-01-2004, 05:02 PM
Beecrofter

Ripped off of gardenwebs bamboo forum

"Feng This!

You can set the bar of taste in your own immediate vicinity by first
denying to lay plastic to cash register over any green twisty branch
of that damnable plant currently known as "Lucky Bamboo." Of the genus
Dracaena, this stretch of leaf is less related to the bamboo family
than you are to the House of Lords, actually being a parlor plant
previously favored by the Victorians because it requires a meteor
hitting the earth in order to fully kill it.

Hyped as a feng shui method of both greening one's home
(moneymoneymoney!) and helping to release stagnant energies, this
living stalk of hooey-hooey is indeed lucky to those who sell great
big buckets full of the stuff. Less lucky is the likelihood that it
will curl about in a milky vase until the fluoride in your drinking
water eventually browns it to a mush. This is your fine holiday
legacy? We think not."

The original article appears on a website called "Metroactive" link
below
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...uide-0250.html
Old 20-01-2004, 09:07 PM
VV

I was in China in December- (Beijing and Baotou,innermongolia). This lucky
bamboo is in every restaurant as the typical most common 'decorative plant'.
These plants are as common as the "golden Pothos" in the US.
All sorts of shapes are "WOVEN" with the stems. Mostly these stalk bottoms
are in shallow water. They are placed in all sorts of lighting conditions.
I am sure that these plants are sold here (US) for a some 1000% profit
margin.

om...