Old 25-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Lecture on growing Apricots in cold climates

Anyone interested in how to grow Apricots in zones 4 & 5 might be
interested in attending a lecture on that topic by a Master Gardener
named
Robert Purvis. He now works for the USDA as an agricultural
statistician.
He has a 243 tree hobby orchard he maintains at his home in Yakima and
is
currently concentrating on 7 apricot varieties for zone 4 hardy types.
The lecture is being held at the Chicago Botanic Garden, just north of
the City of Chicago, on Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 1:30 PM.
Admission
to the lecture is free, but there is a charge for parking. Members of
the
Chicago Botanic Garden or the Morton Arboretum can park for free. The
event is being sponsored be the Midwest Fruit Explorers (MidFex).
MidFex
is asking people to contact them in advance, so they can arrange for the
proper amount of seating space. They will also answer any specific
questions you may have. Send confirmations and queries to:

Old 25-01-2004, 05:07 PM

take notes. report back. Ingrid

Sherwin Dubren wrote:

Anyone interested in how to grow Apricots in zones 4 & 5 might be
interested in attending a lecture on that topic by a Master Gardener
named
Robert Purvis. He now works for the USDA as an agricultural
statistician.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-01-2004, 02:32 AM
RWL

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 05:24:50 GMT, Sherwin Dubren
wrote:

Anyone interested in how to grow Apricots in zones 4 & 5 might be
interested in attending a lecture on that topic by a Master Gardener

I live in PA at the junctions of zones 5 &6 and I've got an apricot
tree that's been growing well here and thrives on benign neglect. It
was called a Manchurian apricot and came from one of the nurseries as
a bonus a number of years ago.

RWL

******* Remove _NOSPAM_ to reply via email *******

Old 26-01-2004, 07:08 PM
J. Del Col

wrote:

Anyone interested in how to grow Apricots in zones 4 & 5 might be
interested in attending a lecture on that topic by a Master Gardener

I live in PA at the junctions of zones 5 &6 and I've got an apricot
tree that's been growing well here and thrives on benign neglect. It
was called a Manchurian apricot and came from one of the nurseries as
a bonus a number of years ago.

The Manchurian apricots are one way to go.

I have Hungarian Rose and Moonglow(I think) here in Philippi, WV.
USDA 6( or 5, depending on what side of the hill you are on)

Last year I had the best crop ever, maybe a dozen fruit per tree.
Most years the fruit is killed by late frosts.

J. Del Col

Old 27-01-2004, 01:41 AM

1. heavily mulch around the base to keep the ground cold later into the spring
2. paint the trunk and branches white to reflect light
3. the best. put this tree in the shade of something that doesnt reach it until
spring has really sprung.
4. use a flip flop watering on teh tree during late frosts.
Ingrid

(J. Del Col) wrote:
I have Hungarian Rose and Moonglow(I think) here in Philippi, WV.
USDA 6( or 5, depending on what side of the hill you are on)

Last year I had the best crop ever, maybe a dozen fruit per tree.
Most years the fruit is killed by late frosts.

J. Del Col

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 27-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Sherwin Dubren

I am eager to hear what Robert has to say, but if anyone is interested,
they will have to attend, in person. I had a Manchurian Apricot in a
large planter on my patio, here in Zone 5. Even after wrapping
insulation
around the pot, it did not survive the second winter. I did have a
great
apricot crop from a Moorpark on dwarfing rootstock planted in my
backyard.
Robert is experimenting with some newer hardy types, which might prove
more resilient in our colder climates.

Sherwin D.

Old 28-01-2004, 02:32 AM

HEY... take notes.
well that is surprising cause apricots come from really really cold places. my dwarf
fruit trees planted in 100 gallon rubbermaids have done really well.
http://puregold.aquaria.net/MOH/orchard/orchard.html
now, the following summer I had no flowers. this last summer I had flowers and a lot
of drop. I really really need to fertilize and have them on a watering schedule.
the asian pears did fantastically well. I make a white wine sangria using those
pears putting them thru a cuisinart with a blade makes them paper thin. yum. Ingrid

Sherwin Dubren wrote:

I am eager to hear what Robert has to say, but if anyone is interested,
they will have to attend, in person. I had a Manchurian Apricot in a
large planter on my patio, here in Zone 5. Even after wrapping
insulation
around the pot, it did not survive the second winter. I did have a
great
apricot crop from a Moorpark on dwarfing rootstock planted in my
backyard.
Robert is experimenting with some newer hardy types, which might prove
more resilient in our colder climates.

Sherwin D.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 28-01-2004, 04:42 PM

apricots do fine in zone 5. I had to whack my 2 year old apricot cause it began to
eat my itty bitty backyard. I have had tree ripened apricots. nothing I have ever
bought even comes close. your mentioning it has made me determined to get a couple
more apricots and try them in a bucket. thanks. Ingrid

(J. Del Col) wrote:

wrote in message ...
1. heavily mulch around the base to keep the ground cold later into the spring
2. paint the trunk and branches white to reflect light
3. the best. put this tree in the shade of something that doesnt reach it until
spring has really sprung.
4. use a flip flop watering on teh tree during late frosts.
Ingrid

Or I could concede that apricots aren't suited to this climate and
save myself a lot of time and trouble.

They were planted as an experiment. They provide a great place to
hang potted orchids in the summer. Any fruit is a bonus.

J. Del Col

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List