Old 02-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Tuletess

Default Norfolk Island Pine

Have planted this 6' tree in the ground & it appears to be doing well by the
side of my house in shade. In a recent storm, it blew over, but did not snap
off. Qestion: can I cut the tree back a few feet & expect it to put out new
growth, or will this kill it? It's possible that I can stake it to the nearby
fence.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Ricky

"Tuletess" wrote in message
Have planted this 6' tree in the ground & it appears to be doing well by

the
side of my house in shade. In a recent storm, it blew over, but did not

snap
off. Qestion: can I cut the tree back a few feet & expect it to put out

new
growth, or will this kill it? It's possible that I can stake it to the

nearby
fence.

The Norfolk Island Pine will grow to a height of from 75' to 150' depending
on where you live. Keep that in mind. You can stake it so that a storm won't
keep blowing it over while the roots establish. If you cut it back you will
get new growth and possibly multiple leads from that point if you don't kill
it first. 9 out of 10 Norfolk Island Pine trees die from lightning strikes
here in S. Florida.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Tuletess" wrote in message
Have planted this 6' tree in the ground & it appears to be doing well by

the
side of my house in shade. In a recent storm, it blew over, but did not

snap
off. Qestion: can I cut the tree back a few feet & expect it to put out

new
growth, or will this kill it? It's possible that I can stake it to the

nearby
fence.

Thanks!

You planted a Norfolk Island Pine next to your house! These grow to over
100 ft tall in good conditions. If it gets half that size the roots will
wreck your foundations and any branches that fall (which is quite likely
over a period of years) will wreck your roof. Not to mention the constant
stream of pine needles and pinecones that will cover your roof and fill your
drainage.

I suggest moving it while it is small.

David

Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 AM
paghat

In article , "David
Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Tuletess" wrote in message
[...]

Yup. It is one of the more dangerous trees to be within reach of a house
because blow-down of Norfolks is very common. We don't live where Norfolks
thrive, but we have a Douglas fir nearby which similarly is shallowly
rooted even when it becomes a giant, & they blow down more commonly than
other giant trees. Fortunately a Douglas fir grows a bit more slowly than
a Norfolk & by the time it's a danger to the house I'll likely be dead &
someone else will have to pay somebody to climb way up top & take it down
segment by segment for an extravagant fee lest it keel over & crush a
couple of houses.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

[IMG] code is On

Norfolk Island Pine United Kingdom 11 24-05-2006 06:02 PM
Norfolk Island Pine Sap Joe Australia 3 24-05-2004 10:05 AM
[IBC] Norfolk Island Pine help Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 07-10-2003 01:07 AM
Norfolk Island Pine help Shireen Gonzaga Bonsai 0 06-10-2003 07:02 PM
norfolk island pine ernest jones United Kingdom 0 17-10-2002 08:52 PM