GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Variegated leaves have lost their pattern! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/51596-variegated-leaves-have-lost-their-pattern.html)

Peter Jason 03-02-2004 03:02 AM

Variegated leaves have lost their pattern!

We took several cuttings from a pelargonium with pretty variegated leaves
and planted them in various places in our garden. All the cuttings took
well, but most have plain green leaves only, though one or two have a faint
pattern.

What caused the variegation to be lost, and can we get it back again?

Jim Lewis 03-02-2004 03:32 AM

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
We took several cuttings from a pelargonium with pretty

variegated leaves
and planted them in various places in our garden. All the

cuttings took
well, but most have plain green leaves only, though one or two

have a faint
pattern.

What caused the variegation to be lost, and can we get it back

again?

Are they growing in the same light levels as where they came
from? Sometimes a change in light level will reduce the
variegated patterns in a leaf. Usually, I _think_, it is lower
levels that do this. Other environmental factors may also cause
it. Variegation is usually as "sport" and doesn't have the
strong genetic backing that "just plain green" has, so it doesn't
take much of an environmental change to affect it. Try to
duplicate the original environment.

Otherwise????

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Peter Jason 03-02-2004 09:05 PM

Variegated leaves have lost their pattern!

Come to think of it, the plainer ones are in a gloomy spot and the better
patterned ones are in more light. The original plant grew against a brick
wall facing the rising sun, and I will try moving some of the cuttings to a
similar aspect.

Regards.

WiGard 03-02-2004 09:18 PM

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 13:44:34 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

We took several cuttings from a pelargonium with pretty variegated leaves
and planted them in various places in our garden. All the cuttings took
well, but most have plain green leaves only, though one or two have a
faint pattern.

What caused the variegation to be lost, and can we get it back again?

Sometimes temperature triggers changes. Variegated plants can revert back
too.

David Hare-Scott 04-02-2004 04:02 AM

Variegated leaves have lost their pattern!

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
We took several cuttings from a pelargonium with pretty variegated leaves
and planted them in various places in our garden. All the cuttings took
well, but most have plain green leaves only, though one or two have a

faint
pattern.

What caused the variegation to be lost, and can we get it back again?

This reminds me of the famous Coleus that grew under the fluorescent lights
in the office where I worked. It was startling brilliant, almost
translucent, green. People were so impressed they used to take cuttings to
strike. Most had fair success but always came back to complain that the new
plant that had grown from the cutting (which was in a bright sun-facing
window or out in their garden) was amazingly coloured with red and pink and
nothing like the parent!

David

Herman Fowler 04-01-2005 05:43 AM

Have any of you guys seen the gardens there? I had an opportunity to
visit them with the in-laws last spring and was completely awe struck.
They are to die for!

-
Herman