Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
SJE

Default sodding yard, ok to checker?

I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want to sod
St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft or so) the cost
concerns me. Would it be okay to checker squares (the full
rectangular piece that comes in the pallets, not plug size) of sod? I
was thinking of just laying it down so the corners meet, maybe some
overlap, so I would need 40-50% less sod. Would this work? I don't
mind if it takes some time to establish, I just don't want the sod to
die and have to start over again. Would there be problems with the
grass not being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Pam - gardengal

I was about to say the same thing in a less diplomatic way....it would look
like crap and would never fill in completely. Rethink your game plan.

pam - gardengal

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
This is a horrible idea.

Dave

news

Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Ricky

"SJE" wrote in message
news
I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want to sod
St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft or so) the cost
concerns me. Would it be okay to checker squares (the full
rectangular piece that comes in the pallets, not plug size) of sod? I
was thinking of just laying it down so the corners meet, maybe some
overlap, so I would need 40-50% less sod. Would this work? I don't
mind if it takes some time to establish, I just don't want the sod to
die and have to start over again. Would there be problems with the
grass not being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

No. Don't do it. Just lay the sod with no overlap and no gaps. The areas
between your pieces, if you "checkerboard" will never fill correctly.
There's around 500 sq feet of sod on a pallet so you are going to need at
least 8 pallets. If you buy it yourself and lay it yourself you can do it
for as little as $100 per pallet.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:10:50 GMT, SJE
wrote:

I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want to sod
St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft or so) the cost
concerns me. Would it be okay to checker squares (the full
rectangular piece that comes in the pallets, not plug size) of sod? I
was thinking of just laying it down so the corners meet, maybe some
overlap, so I would need 40-50% less sod. Would this work? I don't
mind if it takes some time to establish, I just don't want the sod to
die and have to start over again. Would there be problems with the
grass not being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

I've done this. Filled in OK and you couldn't tell unless I mowed real
short. I could tell cause it always had a "texture". Maybe fill the
spaces with extra topsoil.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
HA HA Budys Here

Why don't you sod the "perimeter" in a wavy, flowing "golf-course putting tee"
fashion to the degree you can afford, and plant grass seed on the middle?

That way, you can tend to your gardens, shrubs, etc from an established lawn
and the middle can take it's own sweet time to establish, undisturbed.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want to sod
St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft or so) the cost
concerns me. Would it be okay to checker squares (the full
rectangular piece that comes in the pallets, not plug size) of sod? I
was thinking of just laying it down so the corners meet, maybe some
overlap, so I would need 40-50% less sod. Would this work? I don't
mind if it takes some time to establish, I just don't want the sod to
die and have to start over again. Would there be problems with the
grass not being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

You will probably regret doing this later on. A more economical way
is to order a load of topsoil and compost, cover the area as evenly as
possible, heavily seed, top with straw and keep it moist for 3-4
weeks. Fall is usually the best time of year to do this due to the
intense summer heat can kill the tender seedlings.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
cheshirecat

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:10:50 GMT, SJE
opined:

I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want to sod
St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft or so) the cost
concerns me. Would it be okay to checker squares (the full
rectangular piece that comes in the pallets, not plug size) of sod? I
was thinking of just laying it down so the corners meet, maybe some
overlap, so I would need 40-50% less sod. Would this work? I don't
mind if it takes some time to establish, I just don't want the sod to
die and have to start over again. Would there be problems with the
grass not being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

Don't sod the whole thing. Only sod where it will track into the house if not
sodded. Plant perennials, trees and shrubs in the soil where there is not sod
and use mulch. If you don't want plants, just use mulch. It will take at least
two full years to fill in if you checkerboard.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Dick Hertz

Don't sod the whole thing. Only sod where it will track into the house if
not
sodded. Plant perennials, trees and shrubs in the soil where there is not

sod
and use mulch. If you don't want plants, just use mulch. It will take at

least
two full years to fill in if you checkerboard.

That's right, use lots of mulch. Use mulch everywhere! It will take LESS
than two years for the termites to take over your house.

Old 06-02-2004, 05:03 PM
cheshirecat

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:53:28 -0500, "Dick Hertz" ' opined:

Don't sod the whole thing. Only sod where it will track into the house if

not
sodded. Plant perennials, trees and shrubs in the soil where there is not

sod
and use mulch. If you don't want plants, just use mulch. It will take at

least
two full years to fill in if you checkerboard.

That's right, use lots of mulch. Use mulch everywhere! It will take LESS
than two years for the termites to take over your house.

What are you talking about? Holy shit. Is Usenet getting dumber and dumber by
the minute these days? Gone are the days when relative intellects were the only
computer users. Now, anyone with a few hundred dollars can get online.

MULCH has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do with the level of termites in any
house. It has NOTHING to do with it. Jerk.

Old 07-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Travis

SJE wrote:
I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want
to sod St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft
or so) the cost concerns me. Would it be okay to checker
squares (the full rectangular piece that comes in the pallets,
not plug size) of sod? I was thinking of just laying it down
so the corners meet, maybe some overlap, so I would need 40-50%
less sod. Would this work? I don't mind if it takes some time
to establish, I just don't want the sod to die and have to
start over again. Would there be problems with the grass not
being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

Why not use seed?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 07-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Donna & Jake

cheshirecat wrote:

What are you talking about? Holy shit. Is Usenet getting dumber and dumber by
the minute these days? Gone are the days when relative intellects were the only
computer users. Now, anyone with a few hundred dollars can get online.

MULCH has nothing, and I mean NOTHING to do with the level of termites in any
house. It has NOTHING to do with it. Jerk.

Yes, Usenet is getting dumber by the day, and you are proof positive.
Just what do you think is used for bait in termite monitors used by pest
control companies? Jerk.

[IMG] code is On

Sodding in July JohnnyC Gardening 2 16-07-2007 04:14 PM
sodding yard, ok to checker? SJE Gardening 8 05-02-2004 07:13 PM
PH meter Checker by Hanna -=Almazick=- Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 05-10-2003 01:32 AM
Sodding Jeff Bulach Lawns 3 05-09-2003 12:35 PM
Sodding Ram Guy Lawns 1 25-04-2003 11:44 PM