Old 05-02-2004, 11:32 PM
ruth todd

Default Mantis Tiller

I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments good
or bad, that you could pass on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ruth

Old 06-02-2004, 01:43 AM
Phisherman

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:23:30 -0000, "ruth todd"
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments good
or bad, that you could pass on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ruth

I'm considering a Mantis or Honda tiller too (both have Honda
engines). There are two Mantis models, one 2-cycle (requires a
fuel-oil mix), the other 4-cycle (separate oil). I suspect the
4-cycle is not as noisy, the 2-cycle fewer moving engine parts (maybe
less repair). Any recommendations for online companies with
discounted prices? I know the Mantis comes with a free border edger,
but I'd rather have a discount. I've used my Weedeater string edger
for border cuts for years and it works exceptionally well when the
string is tilted in the vertical position while walking backward.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:12 AM
B & J

"ruth todd" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments

good
or bad, that you could pass on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ruth

I've had the same Mantis for twelve years, and it's still going fine. I had
to replace the tines last year after five years of Arkansas rocks wore them
to nubbins. There are many pluses for a Mantis including durability,
portability (one hand carries it), handling ease, and ability to be used in
small spaces. Two negatives include the fact that they get roots tangled in
tines (remove tines for removal) and starting unless you know the formula.
If you're still interested I'll tell you how to start one.

It's my favorite gardening tool.

John

Old 06-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:03:50 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"ruth todd" wrote in message
I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments

good
or bad, that you could pass on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ruth

I've had the same Mantis for twelve years, and it's still going fine. I had
to replace the tines last year after five years of Arkansas rocks wore them
to nubbins. There are many pluses for a Mantis including durability,
portability (one hand carries it), handling ease, and ability to be used in
small spaces. Two negatives include the fact that they get roots tangled in
tines (remove tines for removal) and starting unless you know the formula.
If you're still interested I'll tell you how to start one.

It's my favorite gardening tool.

John

John,

I'd be interested in knowing any tricks in starting your Mantis. Is
yours a 2 or 4-cycle engine? The LIT-7222 is a 2-cycle and the
LIT-7260 is a 4-cycle. I understand the tines are guaranteed for
life. Did you get yours replaced free?
Old 06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:03:50 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"ruth todd" wrote

I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments

I've had the same Mantis for twelve years, and it's still going fine. I had
to replace the tines last year after five years of Arkansas rocks wore them
to nubbins. There are many pluses for a Mantis including durability,
portability (one hand carries it), handling ease, and ability to be used in
small spaces. Two negatives include the fact that they get roots tangled in
tines (remove tines for removal) and starting unless you know the formula.
If you're still interested I'll tell you how to start one.

Ah, the arcana I never mastered. If the mystery of starting had been
revealed to me, I wouldn't have given it away after 3-4 frustrating
seasons and many futile trips to lawnmower shops that *promised*
satisfaction, but were oddly reluctant to be on call to start the
critter when I was ready to work.

I agree entirely with John's assessment. I used mine for a community
garden plot, and it was easy to transport in the back of my (compact)
car and maneuver it. What is it -- 19lbs? Sturdy as the dickens. Never
any time that it couldn't/wouldn't attack anything from hard clay to
established sod. Yes, roots winding around were a problem, but not
*too* fussy to clear the clog. I miss my Mantis. But not standing in a
field on a 93F (plenty humid, too) afternoon pulling a starting cord
and swearing for 20 minutes at a time.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:35 PM
royroy

John---
I don't use mine more often due my inablility to start it easily.
Have big project co9ming up, so anything you can tell me to help me to
start it more easily wold be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Old 06-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Betsy

I rented a Mantis for 2 projects and then read about and bought a Honda.
What a world of difference. It is easy to start, it is quieter, it doesn't
jump out of the ground when it hits a rock, etc. I highly recommend the
Honda over the Mantis.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:13:28 -0500, "Betsy" -0 wrote:

I rented a Mantis for 2 projects and then read about and bought a Honda.
What a world of difference. It is easy to start, it is quieter, it doesn't
jump out of the ground when it hits a rock, etc. I highly recommend the
Honda over the Mantis.

All Mantis tillers have Honda engines. What you probably noticed was
the noise/power difference between a 2-cycle and 4-cycle engine?
Old 07-02-2004, 03:42 AM
RWL

wrote:

small spaces. Two negatives include the fact that they get roots tangled in
tines (remove tines for removal) and starting unless you know the formula.
If you're still interested I'll tell you how to start one.

I's had one for about as long as you. What's your secret to getting
it started? I've found that if you take the needle valve screws out
and squirt carb cleaner in the jet holes each spring, it makes it
easier to start and runs better.

In a different group I follow, there was a long thread about ways to
get small gas engines like weed whackers and chain saws to start. The
two best sounding ones were to spray WD-40 in the carb, or to "spray"
propane from an unlit torch in the carb to get it going.

RWL

******* Remove _NOSPAM_ to reply via email *******

Old 08-02-2004, 05:02 AM
zxcvbob

ruth todd wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a Mantis Tiller to make gardening a little easier,
has anyone got one of these? I would be very grateful for any comments good
or bad, that you could pass on to me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ruth

I have one. It's horrible. The engine is supposedly the same as an Echo
trimmer or chain saw, but I have no problems with my Echo chain saws or
trimmer. The Mantis has been almost impossible to start since about 2
years after I bought it. I had it in the shop a couple of years ago and
they put on a new carburator, and that helped for a few months.

Buy a Honda, or some cheap Chinese knock-off tiller. Don't buy a Mantis
unless you intend to sell it after at the end of the first season you use
it -- before it quits working. You pay a premium for the Mantis, but it's
a crappy machine.

BTW, the Mantis does a good job if you can get it started and keep it
running, and if you have sandy soil. They don't work all that well in clay.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 08-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Gary and Karen Manning

I purchased a Honda Harmony FG100, 4 cycle. It started the very first pull,
I have never seen a engine start so well.

Gary

New to the north country

Old 08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Ann

zxcvbob expounded:

I have one. It's horrible. The engine is supposedly the same as an Echo
trimmer or chain saw, but I have no problems with my Echo chain saws or
trimmer. The Mantis has been almost impossible to start since about 2
years after I bought it. I had it in the shop a couple of years ago and
they put on a new carburator, and that helped for a few months.

I've had one for four years, and I always forget to drain the fuel,
yet it starts, every single year for me, following the procedure John
(B&J) wrote about. I've found it very reliable and easy to use. I
think you really have to do exactly what's recommended in the manual
for it to run properly (not knocking anyone, everyone forgets from
year to year).

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA