Old 06-02-2004, 05:36 PM
WiGard

Default farmers market pricing

What's a fair asking price for herb plants at farmers' markets?

Basil
Rosemary
Chives
Dill
Mint
Sage
Thyme
Oregano

Probably in 4" pots
Old 06-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Dwight Sipler

WiGard wrote:

What's a fair asking price for herb plants at farmers' markets?

Basil
Rosemary
Chives
Dill
Mint
Sage
Thyme
Oregano

Probably in 4" pots

We charge $2-$3 depending on the size of the plant. This is in a
suburban area at a farm stand. You might charge more for the perennial
herbs since (1) it takes longer to get them to saleable size and (2)
your customers won't be buying more next year.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:20:27 -0600, WiGard wrote:

What's a fair asking price for herb plants at farmers' markets?

Basil
Rosemary
Chives
Dill
Mint
Sage
Thyme
Oregano

Probably in 4" pots

Whatever the market will bear. Check your local garden centers, Home
Depot, etc. If the market is supposed to be an economy outlet, charge
just a bit less. If it's supposed to be superior home-grown, a bit
more. Also depends on clientele. And your product. A well-established
rosemary plant (*not* 1st year) is worth, IMHO, a great deal more than
a little pot of dill that's going to go to seed and die in a couple
of weeks. Around here, a 4" pot with a plant appropriately large (not
4 leaves of basil) would go for prices circling around $4.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:17 PM
WiGard

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:54:03 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Around
here, a 4" pot with a plant appropriately large (not 4 leaves of basil)
would go for prices circling around $4.

Where are you located? I'll be right there with plants in tow.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:08:21 -0600, WiGard wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:54:03 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Around
here, a 4" pot with a plant appropriately large (not 4 leaves of basil)
would go for prices circling around $4.

Where are you located? I'll be right there with plants in tow.

I know. It seems high to me, too. I got a 4" (peat) pot of thyme at
WalMart last year and I'm pretty sure it was $3 or $4. As were all
their herb plants, incl. annuals! 2" square ones are at least $2 at
the veg market. I've quit going to the garden center except for end of
season sales.

Where? SE Virginia, in a fairly blue-collar area.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:32 AM
WiGard

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:44:23 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:08:21 -0600, WiGard wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:54:03 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Around
here, a 4" pot with a plant appropriately large (not 4 leaves of basil)
would go for prices circling around $4.

Where are you located? I'll be right there with plants in tow.

I know. It seems high to me, too. I got a 4" (peat) pot of thyme at
WalMart last year and I'm pretty sure it was $3 or $4. As were all their
herb plants, incl. annuals! 2" square ones are at least $2 at the veg
market. I've quit going to the garden center except for end of season
sales.

Where? SE Virginia, in a fairly blue-collar area.

Wal-Mart, eh? Wondering if the herb plants are made in China as well.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:37 AM
WiGard

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:44:23 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:08:21 -0600, WiGard wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:54:03 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Around
here, a 4" pot with a plant appropriately large (not 4 leaves of basil)
would go for prices circling around $4.

Where are you located? I'll be right there with plants in tow.

I know. It seems high to me, too. I got a 4" (peat) pot of thyme at
WalMart last year and I'm pretty sure it was $3 or $4. As were all their
herb plants, incl. annuals! 2" square ones are at least $2 at the veg
market. I've quit going to the garden center except for end of season
sales.

Where? SE Virginia, in a fairly blue-collar area.

Southern WI here, a land in winter of all things frozen and in
summer of mosquitoes the size of small Cessnas. A former gov once called
Mad city "an island in the sea of reality". Folks have money but they
hate to part with it.

I do like your pricing. Maybe you could come here and market the plants
for me.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Defessus Sum

WiGard wrote:

Wal-Mart, eh? Wondering if the herb plants are made in China as well.

Cretin.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 05:28:08 -0600, WiGard wrote:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:44:23 +0000, Frogleg wrote:

Where? SE Virginia, in a fairly blue-collar area.

Southern WI here, a land in winter of all things frozen and in
summer of mosquitoes the size of small Cessnas. A former gov once called
Mad city "an island in the sea of reality". Folks have money but they
hate to part with it.

Is that Madison? The home of UofW and 'Calling All Pets' on WPR?

We have 'skeeters, too -- the general area is called Tidewater, and
there are plenty of beeding places. Also snow and ice, 'though not
continuously.