Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Lozzie

Default Cats

My neighbours cats seem determined to use my garden as their toilet.
Is there anyway I can keep them off? I don't want to use any of the
machine type deterents you can buy as they seem expensive and I've
been told they don't work very well.
Thank you
Old 03-02-2004, 08:44 PM
WiGard

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:45:54 -0800, Lozzie wrote:

My neighbours cats seem determined to use my garden as their toilet. Is
there anyway I can keep them off? I don't want to use any of the machine
type deterents you can buy as they seem expensive and I've been told they
don't work very well.
Thank you

I had problems with neighbors' cats at the bird feeders and in the trees
above the same. Nothing worked. I finally talked with the neighbors and
now no cats.

Assuming you live in town, most towns have animals-at-large ordinances.
Check to see if you have such an ordinance. If so, remind the neighbor of
the ordinance.

Good neighbors tend to listen.

Water works. Cats don't like water.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 PM
paghat

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:45:54 -0800, Lozzie wrote:

My neighbours cats seem determined to use my garden as their toilet. Is
there anyway I can keep them off? I don't want to use any of the machine
type deterents you can buy as they seem expensive and I've been told they
don't work very well.
Thank you

Anything stinky enough or noisy enough to annoy cats would annoy you more.
If your garden is dryish & the soil loose & sandy, cats are going to love
it, period. You could get a big cat of your own whose territoriality might
keep the number of visiting cats down to a minimum, & one tends NOT to
hate one's own cat's turds quite so much. Some areas might be mulchible
with cedar bark (small crushed type which better resembles top soil
instead of chunks of wood strewn about, & mixes best into the soil as an
organic component) because it is so splintery cats don't like to dig in
it. Anything that makes the surface of the soil less like a catbox of Tidy
Cat discourages them. They can't dig in areas with solid groundcovers or
with unloosened soil, & you can even punish them with stickery
groundcovers. If you prune a lot of roses or blackberries or the like, you
can cut up the stems into torny sticks to mulch with in cat-favorite
spots, or even just use regular tree twigs & small limbs as a decorative
mulch laid attractively around any plants you don't want cats digging in;
if there's not room for them to dig, they'll dig elsewhere, & bent little
snaky limbs can be attractive while making it uncomfy for fastidious
beasts to squat down. Cats also tend not to like to dig in well watered
gardens, but go for the dry areas under eaves. Sometimes regular watering
nearer the most cat-active times (dusk) is enough to discourage them.

I find there are not TOO many cats & with just a little bit of a blase
feeling about their endeavors, a little poo can be regarded as potential
fertilizer & no big deal really. Now & then the cats do something that
makes me peevish, like one scratched off the entire surface of a cyclamen
about to burst into bloom, scraped off every leaf & everything, then
pooped right on top of the tuber. Now that clump is not going to do
anything until next winter gawdamn it. But usually all their scratching
about means is that I have to bury their tootsy rolls better than they do.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Old 03-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Bill R

Lozzie wrote:
My neighbours cats seem determined to use my garden as their toilet.
Is there anyway I can keep them off? I don't want to use any of the
machine type deterents you can buy as they seem expensive and I've
been told they don't work very well.
Thank you

Cats are creatures of habit and what you need to do is to
break their habit of using your garden as their toilet.
Smell is the main item that cats use to choose their toilet
and I have found that a good way to stop them is to add a
strong "smell" to the area they choose. Some items that I
have found that work well are hot sauce (put some in a spray
bottle and add some water and spray the area they use),
pepper (red pepper works best), and other strong smelling
herbs. Also perfume and cologne work well but don't use too
much or else the neighbors may think you are running a brothel.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 03-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Salty Thumb

Bill R wrote in news:4020101A.7080909
@iglou.com:

herbs. Also perfume and cologne work well but don't use too
much or else the neighbors may think you are running a brothel.

When the police stop by and ask you where the cathouse is you can just
shake your head and point next door.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:12 AM
Michelle

Install a sprinkeler or two and watch vindictavely out the window and
when you see one hit the switch This may not work but I'm sure it
will be greatly gratifying HE HE :- )
Sorry couldn't resist that one
Michelle

Old 08-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Norma J. Briggs

My neighbours cats seem determined to use my garden as their toilet.
Is there anyway I can keep them off? I don't want to use any of the
machine type deterents you can buy as they seem expensive and I've
been told they don't work very well.

How about a dog? That is what I use....seems to work well so far.

---

Old 09-02-2004, 01:49 AM
JonquilJan

This may not be an option depending on the size of your beds but - chicken
wire.

Stake it down over the top of the soil - and just on top of the soil. Cats
just don't want to step on things that may bother their feet. Most plants
can just grow right through the openings. Some - such as large beets and
other root crops - may be too big to get through the holes but above the
ground crops - leafy veggies, flowers, should be fine.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 07:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM