Old 11-02-2004, 10:42 PM
paghat

Default Crocuses crocuses crocuses

If I count "Fontenayi" which didn't stop blooming until January, & the
autumn crocuses which the Fontenai had overlapped, I've had one or
another crocus continuously since October. In January though, beginning
with C. ancyrensis & C. korolkowii, & most especially since the start of
February with many others, it's just been crocuses all over the place.
Yesterday the first C. tommasinianus opened into full bloom, & today there
are several more already opened though still mostly little blue buds, &
since the first day of february every day seems to bring another variety
into full bloom. The first tommies are the wild ones, not a named
cultivar, & they are kind of wild behaving -- there seem to already be
three times as many as came up in the last two years. We've two cultivated
varieties & they're not blooming yet, probably still a full week to weight
for them, hey're just tea-wisks right now.

Today is very sunny, so many crocuses that have been closed during
overcast days are all super-brilliant wide-open out in the garden right
this minute, so I had to hurry & tell y'all, I've got fully flowering C.
sieberi atticus "Firefly," C. chrystanthus "Fuscotinctus" "Gipsy Girl,"
"Snow Bunting," "Goldilocks," the very first couple "Blue Pearl" & "Prinz
Claus" which'll get livelier in a day or two, C. etruscus "Zwanenburg," C.
korolowii "Kiss of Spring," C. ancyrensis "Golden Bunch." It's weird
these are called "early spring" when in fact they're winter bloomers,
whereas some varieties of Cyclamens categorized "winter bloomers" are
right now covered with magenta buds & will probably still be in full
flower when some of the first "spring" crocuses are done.

Still to bloom are C. luteus "Stellaris," C. chrystanthus "Advance,"
"Cream Beauty," C. sieberi sublimis "Tricolor," C. tommasinianus
"Whitewell" & "Ruby Giant." By the time these have added themselves there
should also be hoopskirt daffodils abloom, & some scillas & muscaris.

Now I have to run back out there & look at everything again.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 12-02-2004, 01:12 AM
madgardener

"paghat" wrote in message
news
[...]

this is so cool Paggers!! take some pictures of your babies, I'd love to
see them!
maddie

Old 12-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/11/04 7:08 PM, in article , "madgardener"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
[...]

It will be weeks before I see anything!

Cheryl

Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 AM
paghat

In article , "madgardener" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have pages up for many of the crocuses, but these particular pages have
brand-new photos:

Crocus etruscus "Zwanenburg"
http://www.paghat.com/crocusetruscus.html

Crocus chrysanthus "Goldilocks"
http://www.paghat.com/crocusgoldilocks.html"

Crocus chrysanthus "Gypsy Girl"
http://www.paghat.com/crocusgypsygirl.html

Crocus chrysanthus "Snow Bunting":
http://www.paghat.com/crocussnowbunting.html

Crocus chrysanthus var fuscotinctus
http://www.paghat.com/crocusfuscotinctus.html

Crocus korolkowii "Kiss of Spring"
http://www.paghat.com/crocuskorolkowii.html

Crocus sieberi atticus "Firefly"
http://www.paghat.com/crocusfirefly.html

Crocus ancyrensis "Golden Bunch"
http://www.paghat.com/crocusancyrensis.html

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 12-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Ann

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

It will be weeks before I see anything!

Same here. Although the witch hazels are getting ready to pop! )
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

crocuses martin United Kingdom 2 11-03-2004 12:47 AM
crocuses martin United Kingdom 0 11-03-2004 12:44 AM
Question on Crocus The first crocuses!!! Frank Gardening 4 20-02-2004 12:49 PM
Crocuses!! MadGardener Gardening 20 02-03-2003 01:39 PM
Why are My Crocuses growing ? Kate Morgan United Kingdom 0 28-09-2002 11:33 PM